Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky vintage5 rosewood or maple board?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenYBass, Feb 12, 2003.

1. BenYBass

BenYBass

Oct 7, 2002
    Toronto
    I am thinking about getting a Sadowsky vintage5
    with an alder body but I don't know if I should get a rosewood or maple board. I love the sound of an
    alder/rosewood bass but I've heard that a maple
    board can add definition. Roger told me that fingerboard affects the tone more than the body wood. I am worried that a maple board will make the bass as bright as an ash/maple bass, which I hate. Does anyone have experience with an alder/maple vintage 5? I'd love to hear your comment. Thanks

Ben

2. BenYBass

BenYBass

Oct 7, 2002
    Toronto
    Any Sadowsky vintage 5 owners out there?

3. Hi Ben!

I own a Sadowsky Vintage 5, but it has an ash body and maple neck. My bass has a very warm but articulate tone that sits exceptionally well in the mix. The Sadowsky preamp lets me dial in any tone I need.

I have not played an Alder/Maple combo, but certainly would not describe my bass as annoying bright like many of the ash/maple combos I have played.

Sorry I could not answer your question specifically, but didn't want you to think no one had read your post.

Jeff

4. I also have the Vintage 5 ash/maple combination which I prefer. Roger's tone is quite versatile so while I typically need a bit more bright edge in live scenarios, it will definately dial in and achieve a warmer tone. The room I'm in dictates how much warmth I can get away with. Roger's preamp in combination with your amp settings won't disappoint whichever direction you go.

5. I think you have answered your own question. If you love the sound of a rosewood board, stick with it. Sadowsky necks behave the same as anyone elses,i.e.,rosewood adds warmth, maple adds brightness. A brighter sound adds definition.

Do this...compare the same bass(does not matter which brand) with a rosewood and maple neck side by side in a blind test. Set the eq's flat. Play all of the styles you use. Which sound do you prefer? Whatever your ears tell you should guide you.

While Sadowsky preamps have a wide range and can really warm up a sound, you should start with a bass that has the basic sound you really like with the eq's flat. Then you can tweak till your hearts content.

Many people will want both rosewood and maple necked basses as they do offer different tones. Each can enhance music in different settings/styles.

Bottom line...go with your ears!:)