Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky vs. Aguilar vs. Fodera

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a SABDDI that I like a lot, but I'm thinking of using another outboard preamp for different tones (like slap), either with an A/B footswitch or some other way of switching tones. Since I like Marcus Miller's slap tone, I figure the Sadowsky would be cool, just wondering what you think of these.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    All excellent, all a bit different tone. You really have to sample them to know if its for you. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've owned both the Fodera and the Sadowsky. Both sound very good but I prefer the 3 band Fodera.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not entirely clear whether you're saying you want to get another unit in addition to the SansAmp, or instead of it.

I also think you're saying you want a 2 channel stompbox i.e. off/eq/alt eq.

If that's the case, then your choices are MXR, Fodera or John East U-Retro stompbox. I haven't tried the John East.

The MXR has channel 1 with b/m/t eq, then channel 2 which is designed to kick in the distortion. But if you set the distortion to 0, you get the benefits of it's slap friendly eq curve without the distortion.

The Fodera lets you kick in eq in channel a, then mid cut/boost in channel b.
    The Fodera is a great unit, but doesn't have a DI and it's about twice the price of the MXR.