Sadowsky vs Fender: Is there a noticeable sonic difference in recordings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's the question posed to me by a co-worker who's a guitarist. I don't know enough about Sadowskys to know the differences, but I know enough about Fenders to know people would not complain it's not a Sadowsky, so my immediate answer was no. I'm sure there are other factors to consider, but none came to mind as it all boils down to sound in the end.

Still, I'd like to see what you Sadowsky experts have to say about this...
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Depends on the Fender, but IME, with 99.9 percent of recorded music out there, you would never be able to identify the make of the bass regardless of the maker.
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    recording tracks with my Vintage 4 is what made me go "OH MY GOD, NOW I GET IT!" about Sadowskys.

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i couldnt agree more.

but then i heard my sadowsky, with the bass knob @ 75%, treble @ 50%, kickin' thru the studio's monitors, where i said to myself, "oh yesssss..." ;) that was the inspiration for my current Avalon U5 / Acme rig. studio sound on gig.

sure, installing the Sadowsky pickup/preamp would prolly give me my ears a similar sensation, but i highly doubt my hands, fingers, or the rest of my body would feel the same. :p :D
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Roger's preamp makes all the difference when recording with these basses. I usually go direct. You can dial in the right amount of thump and sizzle right on the bass itself. Really no eq'ing at all. A touch of compression if you like. My '67 sounds pretty good but of course it hums and the bass response is not even in the same league. I keep getting told by engineers and soundmen at shows what a great tone my amp has!! LOL. They dont realize it's really the bass

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The most importent diffrence sonicly in my opinion between Fender and Sadowsky is the even balance between low mids and highs. Many Fenders i have played were lacking in one area with much unbalance, i think the wood is allso a factor in these sonic issues.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Smash, What's up? Hope all is well. Good to see you're still posting. I've been gigging so much I don't get to post as often as I'd like.

Yea, thats why I said the preamp makes all the difference. In addition, the Sadowsky basses play like butter. Impeccable fretwork, shaped necks, etc. Lets face it, Fender basses are thrown together as quickly as possible. Some turn out nice, others are borderline unplayable. It took me a long time to find my '67. I played many before buying this one. That said, I never use it. My Sadowsky's smoke it in every category. Every one. If they didnt', I'd use the '67. Roger has taken a great premise and make it practically perfect, IMO. I own three!!! and I want another soon!! Long live Fender, and longer live Roger Sadowsky and his attention to tone, detail, and most importantly, the customer!!!!!!