1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky vs. Fodera etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subisina, Feb 28, 2008.

1. subisina

subisina

Feb 6, 2007
    Croatia
    Hi guys,
    I own 1990 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 but would like to know generally about other basses. First of all Fenders - Jazz Bass vs. Precision, what are the best models, they all look same to me. I know that Foderas and Sadowskies are expensive but is it justified? I want bass to be versatile and reliable, death silent (no buzz at all...). What about Yamaha (TRB PII). I'm only interested in these 'better' instruments and I want to have just one bass for everything, slap, pop, muted tones, funky, motown, everything. The sound I seek is full spectrum sound (maybe something like Patitucci's sound from his bass school(part one - 4 string, is that Fodera). Everything, highs, mids, lows. Where is my bass (stated above) in this story.
    I know this depends on individual taste but I want to hear your opinion and please try to relate basses to a certain kind of music. Is there any bass that does it all. The amp I use PJ suitcase (not going to replace this little miracle).
    I know it's very general question but please answer it. I'm nowhere at the moment
    Thanks

2. that Warwick you have is a pretty darn good bass...

3. GET DOWN! THE THREAD'S GONNA BLOW!:bag:

4. subisina

subisina

Feb 6, 2007
    Croatia
    Yes, I supposed so but I have to find my path he he

5. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You're right, all Fenders look the same. They all sound pretty much the same too, until they are about 20 years old, then they sound 2-10x better than before. If you can't wait that long, sometimes you can make them sound better by dragging them along a sidewalk and dinging them up real good.

The really expensive basses are definitely justified in their cost. Every additional layer of exotic, hand carved wood has been proven to add depth and character to the basses tone. In fact, in order to get all the tones you are looking for, I have just one word for you: More. More woods, more knobs, more volts on the active electronics, more strings, and most of all, more money!

It's good that you've decided not to change your amp at all. It hardly has any effect on your tone anyway.

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Hm - this isn't what I thought this thread would be about before I read it.

One thing - your 1990 Warwick Streamer is a damn nice bass if it's in any kind of good condition. Nothing to apologize for there. But maybe you are just looking for a change - we all do that now and then.

Foderas are extremely nice, very high-touch (if not totally hand made) instruments that have a distinct tone and carry a pretty high premium. Lots of guys play them; I like them a lot but you can certainly get your hands on a bass of equivalent quality for a lot less money. With a Fodera you are paying for exclusivity to a degree - but also for a top shelf instrument.

I don't think Patitucci has been noted as a Fodera guy at any point. He came up playing a Fender J (it's on the track "Elektric City" on the Elektric Band album) and a few Yamaha BB-series instruments, then the Ken Smith 6-string on which he became notable as a 6-string electric player. Since about 1990 he has been playing Yamaha electrics just about exclusively.

I own two Yamahas, but I rarely play either. One is my beater 4-string, a BB1600 I bought new in 1989 that I have kept all these years. The other is a TRB5 I picked up on eBay about 5 years ago. Both good instruments, but nothing special about them. I would wonder if moving from a Warwick Streamer to a Yamaha would make much sense, potentially excepting the Patitucci signature model.

You mentioned Sadowsky - those are boutique instruments modeled after Fender P- and J- style basses. They are a very low-risk choice if you want to add a Fender-ish axe to your vocabulary. At their price point there are a few competitors worthy of consideration, among them Alleva-Coppolo, Pensa, Celinder, Nordy, and perhaps Valenti. But again, all of these are Fender-modeled instruments, and I recommend you decide that you want to go that route in general before you think about which maker you are most interested in. You will find plenty of data about this genre of basses out on this forum.

A plug for a buddy - for something a little different, you might think about a bass by Peter Skjold. He is a gifted luthier, and his basses mix value and exotic very effectively. I have one of his 6-strings and like it very much.

Or, just stick with your Warwick...