Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky vs Radial Bassbone DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zapatista, Jan 24, 2006.

1. zapatista

zapatista

Mar 5, 2005
    Hi fellow low-enders!

I have a pretty straight forward question. I have tried the Sadowsky DI and while it did not make a BIG improvement to my two active basses, it did make my sound slightly bigger, warmer and rounder over the house sound.

Has anybody tried the Radial bassbone or even had the chance to try both, and how do they compare? At the moment the lucrative thing about the bassbone is that I'm planning to start using effects, so the channel selecter on the bassbone could come in handy, as i can use one channel to have a clean beefy signal and swith to the other channel to use my effects.

Thank you for your time and I would appreciate your input.
    PS - I use a Musiman Bongo 5 and a Warwick Thumb. Amps are provided by the pubs and clubs i gig at and are mainly Ampeg, Peavey (sadly) and Behringer. In the coffee houses and small bars, there are no amps, I just go straight to the mixer. Has anyone used any DI boxes in these situations?

2. I've heard some people here say that a bassbone isn't really
    a preamp. I guess it doesn't have enough juice to properly
    drive an amp or something. I was thinking about going with one,
    but got discouraged by what I heard here. You might need to
    add an additional piece of gear to get your signal up to driving
    an amp, but the bassbone looks like an interesting unit.
    Good Luck!

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The bassbone can power a head, just not a power amp.

I don't think the channel selector will work like you expect it to. The bassbone is designed to handle two basses. True you can use one bass and get two settings, but you can't really have a clean and dirty channel.

The bassbone should give no colour to your sound.

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I have been using a Sadowsky Preamp/DI for a short time. Now I am using the Radial Bassbone.
    I think these are 2 different animals.

The Sadowsky is a straight 2 band preamp with a DI, whereas the Bassbone gives you 2 channels, one with 3 preset sounds (1 flat), one with a 3 band preamp, switchable boost/fx loop option, tuner output.

I am using my Bassbone to get my 2 basses (active Lakland JO5 and passive Fender Roscoe Beck 5). to the same level.

I did not like the bass center freq. of 40hz on the Sadowsky. I prefer a higher center freq. to tweak my low end.

The Bassbone (and also the J-Retro preamp) is centered at 70hz resp. 80 hz. This seems much more useful for my tone shaping. That is why I sold my Sadowsky. I leave tweaking the real low end to my amp or the FOH engineer. This has a lot more to do with stage/room acoustics than with my actual "sound".

5. zapatista

zapatista

Mar 5, 2005
    Hi guys thanks for your input so far.
    I just wanted to clarify that I intend to buy a DI box so that I can send two signals. One from my bass to my amp (or effects pedal first) and one from my bass to the mixer.

I hope to shape the signal going to the mixer with the DI box (like SansAmp or Sadowsky or Radial) so that it is rounder and warmer.

Do you think if I just get a multi effects pedal with tweakable EQ ican just store some nice EQ settings and than I won't need a DI box?

6. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    for your needs i think you are better with the sadowsky.
    for me though i went with the Radial becuase i like to have a 'slap' bass sound which i also use for the groove playing and then for a 'jaco' or solo style sound which i like to kick in at any moment, i need 2 Eq shapes to do this and the Radial does a great job.
    also i use the Radial as the controller of my pedal board, i use a lot of effets so the Radial keeps everything ticking, i stick all the effects in the efx loop and the tuner in the tuner out so its on all the time. hope this helps+
    also i have used it on tour in Large clubs, / arenas and it has a great DI , lots of good feedback from the sound guys.
    also i plan on having a EH phaser pedal and it has a volume drop, the Radial has a great volume booster which you can operate from a foot switch, so many advantages using this pup, i even use it as a preamp fr my double bass now!