Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky vs. Ultra Jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 12, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

if you didnt know by now, Sadowsky's got a new website up. he's also got a new policy and is willing to sell his preamp and pickups separately without having you send in your bass to him.

with that said, has anyone tried his 4 or 5 string pickups vs. a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz??

i've heard that they're both of the same pedigree since Roger outsources them to D, but then has them customized.

anyone?

2. Roger's pup are custom made to his specs. If you like his pups, then buy 'em. He works with DiMarzio, Duncan, EMG, etc.

I think his stuff is top notch. All my electric guitars and basses that I play and record with are made by Sadowsky. (No, it's no endorsement deal. I paid for
    'em with every hard earned penny.)

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I would like to ask this question also, and I love resurrecting dead threads!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

well, lemme answer my own thread! sheesh, feels so "Twilight Zone'ish". :D

using either one passive, the Dimarzio's have a punchier and bigger low end. but it also a tad harsher sounding high end.

the Sadowsky's are much rounder, with a bit more midrange. also, they seem much bigger sounding in comparison, with a bit more of an extended high end.

both are very similar to one another. almost a modern, active'ish sound despite being passive. but as you can guess, i really dig the Sadowsky's sound more. ;)

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Joker,

Are the pole pieces on the Sadowsky's radiused?

How's the string to string balance?

6. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Joker,

I would appreciate to know your answer to the questions
    asked by marc40a also.

7. 4 year bump for more info

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Since this thread I have purchased a set of Sadowskys and the polepieces are staggered.

...Can't comment on the tonal differences between them and the UJ's, I've never owned a set.