Sadowsky VTC question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ValmiX, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ValmiX

ValmiX

Jan 27, 2003
    Hi, I'm undecided between the outboard or onboard sadowsky preamp.

The fact is that I don't know if the VTC (passive tone) works before or after the active EQ.

If it works before the EQ I can have a simple passive tone on my bass and go for the outboard preamp, otherwise it's a different kind of thing i think. First you boost the frequency then you cut it.

Does somebody know that???

2. ValmiX

ValmiX

Jan 27, 2003
    up

3. I'm not sure where the VTC sits in the Sadowsky signal chain, but you should hear very little difference between an onboard Sadowsky pre with VTC, and an external Sadowsky pre and the passive tone control on your passive bass.

Yes, the cable run between the bass and external unit will result in a slightly difference response (I assume due to a bit of difference in pickup loading and the capacitance impact of the cable on the pickups between the external unit and the bass. However, this is 'third decimal place' stuff.

You should be absolutely fine with your plan, and that is exactly what the Sadowsk stompy box was design to do... provide 'on board active pre' capability to a passive bass without having to route or in any way impact the instrument physically.

4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I believe the VTC is Before / Part of the Active circut. The VTC knob pulls to bypass the active circuit, but is before the Treble - Bass controls when in active mode. The VTC gives you a bit more "Color" (Mostly Darker!) with the onboard preamp. I'm not sure why it wasn't added to the outboard unit...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021