1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky VTC (Vintage Tone Control)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderphil, Apr 27, 2009.

1. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Will the Sadowsky VTC pot work with any preamp?

I'd imagine that it would, seeing as how the Sadowsky preamp works like any other preamp... passive signal in, active signal out...

thanks!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Vintage Tone Control is a passive tone that is found on any passive bass.

I've used a passive tone control on Aguilar preamps, EMG preamps and a couple of others that slipped my mind.

3. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    interesting.

thanks Nino!

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the VTC on a Sadowsky a different value of potentiometer to jive with the active electronics, or do they just use a 250 or 500k ohm pot? I'd love to add one to my Sadowsky outboard pre and just leave the controls off the bass!

Karl

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Sadowsky VTC is not a single pot. It's a kit:
    * A 250k push-pull pot: It's used as a passive tone control and a switch (usually set as active/passive but you can use it in any way you like)
    * A stacked 25k/25k pot: This is used to boost bass/treble on active circuits requiring 25k pots.
    * 2xcaps: One for passive tone control, the other for silent switching between active/passive

This kit is designed specifically for onboard Sadowsky preamp which initially came without passive tone control. It can also be used with Aguilar OBP-1. The idea is to add a passive tone control without drilling another hole on your bass. It's not meant to be used with outboard pre, or any onboard pre other that the two above.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, essentially you ARE telling me that the VTC (Vintage Tone Control) is just a 250K pot and a capacitor, everything else in the "kit" is simply there to accomodate switching an always active bass to an active/passive bass without adding an extra hole to the bass...Because it is just a 250K pot and capacitor, it can either be in the bass directly after the pickups, or in the outboard preamp box before the active controls.

Thanks for the info,
    Karl

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Yes, 250K, 47nF tone control.

8. does anybody knows the value of the "switching" capacitor on VTC?