Sadowsky VTC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Is the VTC necessary? Is it needed only for maple fingerboards because they are bright?
  2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I can't speak to the rosewood boards, but I just had one installed on my Metro MV4 (maple neck) and it adds a new dimension to the sound. It definitely allows you to "roll off" the treble and give the bass a mellower sound. I did have a set of Sadowsky Bright Nickel strings installed at the same time and that helped as well. I found it well worth the 80 bucks...or $150 if you get it added by Sadowsky.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

something sadowsky and i dont even know what it is?!?!?! :eek:
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I got mine with a rosewood/alder RV5 and love it, I very rarely adjust the pre, but I use the VTC all the time, it seems to sound more natural then the pre treble contol to me.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Vintage tone control ;) but you knew that all along, you were just testing right?
  6. How does this work? Is it simply a passive tone control or is it something a bit more "special"?
  7. I would not get a Sadowsky without one at this point...I think it is one of the most flexible tools you can have in your arsenal to help get different tones and to give a greater clarity or to mellow out any given tone that you have....

It is essentially a treble rolloff that allows you to get that really sweet Old school Fender vibe witha flick of the wrist....and it works with the pre on or off, ingenious I think...I use the the VTC, the pickup selector, and my right hand position more than anything else to vary my tones.....

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i agree with eveyone else. especially with a boost only preamp, the vtc is a pretty nice option to have. not necessarily just to mellow it out, but to cop a nice burpy bridge pickup thing if youre into that.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

but of course... ;)

and good to hear from ya, bro! long time no see. FYI, ask Cpt. Scarlet about a few goodies i got recently. :bassist:

but like tommy said, i dont know what i'd do without the VTC. adds a nice dimension to the sound.
  10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i don't own a Sadowsky :(
    but i do own an F Bass and a Nordstrand! :D
    and i do most of my tone adjusting with the passive tone control, or as Sadowsky calls it , the VTC - love having it!
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Am I correct in thinking that it is nothing more or less than the standard, one-capacitor-one-pot treble rolloff that has been on nearly every guitar made since the dawn of electric-guitar-time? :confused:
  12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Is something I could intall on my own? Keep in mind I have 4 thumbs and 6 pinkies and almost blew myself up in an electrical shop course in my teens. Ordering it and having someone local install it would be cheaper than shipping my whole bass to Sadowsky.
  14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'll be adding the VTC to the long list of things I need to check out today. If I dig the VTC I'll have the guys drop one into my Metro.

I'll mostly be making a decision as to what exactly will be my next Metro. RV5 or R-24? Or maybe the new Ultra Vintage Metro? :meh:

Any specific instruments you guys want me to report back on? I'm here for another 25 minutes or so.
  15. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use mine alot. My previous Sadowsky's didn't have it but they were still fantastic basses. You won't regret getting the VTC, but these basses are super functional without it too!
  16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have the VTC on my Alder/Rosewood PJ5 and couldn't imagine not having it. I use it more than the active pre. I have a tone control on my Foderas as well and I use it all the time.
  17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yep, I used the passive tone on my former F bass, and use it all the time on my Ritter.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Don't have a Sadowsky, but I have a DiMarzio UltraJazz / Aguilar preamp 5 string bass that I'm going to add a passive tone control to. Treble boost only gets to be too bright sometimes.
  19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1 I use the Passive Tone control (Aka VTC) on my F Bass ALL the time. It's an amazingly quick way to dial down the brightness to get a more warm thick darker growl.
  20. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I know it's not allowed to question Sadowsky, but here goes;)

Isn't 150 dollars "little bit" too much for a tone control? If I get a stacked pot and do the work myself, I can't see it costin above 20 dollars. Or is there something magical in the Sadowsky pot?

Please don't ban me!