Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky VTC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birdsg, Aug 17, 2005.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Guys, I have a pretty dumb question and have searched (honest!) and can't see an answer.

I have just got a metro and I know that the controls are bass, treble, pick up selector and volume and that if you put the bass into passive mode only the volume and pick up mix function....

If you get the VTC fitted you get 2 knobs sent to you (a 250K and a 500K pot). Which knobs do these replace of the existing 4 and what is their function? Does the VTC work in passive and/or active mode?

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

2. I'm pretty sure that the VTC would come with the passive treble control and a stacked active bass/treble control... so it would replace the current individual bass and treble knobs.

3. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks, I think this is slowly sinking in...

The stacked pot goes where the bass pot was and is used for bass/treble when in active mode....

The single pot replaces the existing treble and is used to switch the bass between active and passive mode and only does anything with regards the tone when in passive mode?

That would make sense I think!

Steve

4. No, the passive tone control works in both passive and active modes. Since the active EQ is boost-only, the passive tone control is the only way to cut the highs. (Notice how nobody ever seems to want to cut the lows?...)

Mike

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Before I add my two cents...if you're still confused call Roger directly and he or one of the guys will be happy to explain, or email him at roger@sadowsky.com.

Here's how I understand it. "Passive Mode", disengaging the preamp, is really only meant as a get-you-outta-trouble fallback if your battery dies on a gig. This is especially true if you've got the humbucking pickups as opposed to the single coils, which you do unless you had your Metro modified.

The VTC replaces the treble boost knob, while treble and bass boost controls are now moved to a stack pot that replaces the bass boost knob. With the VTC turned clockwise (or "up") all the way, the bass functions as your Metro does now. As you dial in, or turn the VTC counterclockwise, you're basically making the over-all preamp sound more "vintage-y" by rolling off the highs. It's that simple. You're still in "active mode".

I personally don't see any purpose at all for running my Sadowsky Metro in passive mode, other than for the reason stated above. Change the battery regularly, or if you're a total geek like me, buy a voltmeter from Radio Shack and attach a 1/4" plug so you can check the battery's level without having to take off the control cavity access panel.

drlndrve likes this.
  6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds interesting... could you elaborate on how you do this (which voltmeter, how to connect the 1/4 plug, anything special to know about the readings, etc)?

7. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for all the help guys, I now understand this!

Steve

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Terry Buddingh wrote an article in BP years ago how to do it. What's best is to buy a multimeter, even though you'll only use the volt measuring feature. Then you'll need a banana clip, a short piece of common lamp cord, and a 1/4" plug. Attach the banana clip to one end of the lamp cord and the 1/4" to the other (standard 2 way plug, not TRS btw). Plug the banana end into the multimeter, set it to read volts, plug in the 1/4" to your bass' jack, and voila! It'll give you the voltage level of the battery. Pretty cool huh?