1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky VTC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    My Valenti has Sadowsky HC Pickups, and a Sadowsky preamp, without the VTC. I needed new strings, so I threw some D'Addario ProSteels on there. They sound good, and feel all right, but they're too bright. Sometimes. For slap and such, it's great. For fingerstyle, not so much. Even when I roll the treble off on my amp, it's too bright for fingerstyle. Do I need to add the VTC?

2. steels are always brighter, I would try some nickel strings and some flats before shelling out more money :cool:

3. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The VTC has helped a lot to warm up the bright Sadowsky sound even on 1/2 round strings. Other TBers say they don't need it, but it is a must for me. I'd get it.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the VTC. However, remember that the extreme sizzle of a new set of SS roundwounds will go away after a couple of hours of playing... so you might want to let them settle down for a day or so and then re-evaluate if they are still too bright.

5. Seattle_BassMan

Seattle_BassMan

Mar 22, 2006
    I had the same issue with my UV-70 Sadowsky....but once I put the VTC in my problems were solved and the tone was AWESOME!!

Definitely get the VTC

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IMHO,

anytime you can move that extra knob from your amp to your bass, i say its a helpful thing. :)

but yea, the VTC is very handy.

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I ordered the VTC. I think I'll have to talk to Nino about putting it in, he mentioned that on my bass, it would be a PITA, because mines not rear routed, and there might not be enough room in the control cavity. I'm think I may just have a battery box installed in the back, have the battery moved to there, and that'll give me enough room. I'll see what happens.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That sounds like a lot of trouble. You might think about swapping the Sadowsky out for an Aguilar OB-2... it's the two band version of the OB-3... and has boost and cut bass and treble controls. The treble control of the OB-2 is centered at a very high frequency (6.5K), so it is very useful for reducing extreme brightness without trashing the upper mids.

I know Nino likes this pre a lot, and uses it regularly for his basses. The bass frequencie seems very similar to the Sadowsky, and since both of these pre's are relatively transparant when set flat, I dont' think you'd be loosing much going from the Sadowsky to the OB-2 in your case.

My primary assumption here is that the OB-2 would be a simple drop in to replace the Sadowsky.

Just an idea!!!

K

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    It's not a bad idea, I just like the idea of separate Tone and Preamp controls. Plus, if I get a battery box installed, if a battery dies at a gig, it's 'gimme a sec' vs 'gimme a few minutes, i gotta grab a screwdriver.' Also, with the VTC, I can switch between active and passive, and still have a pickup blend, which I also like.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... The battery thing is not a big deal.... been using active basses since around 1976 and never, ever had a battery fail on a gig (of course, I change them every six months, which I would highly recommend!).

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    And not a bad idea, it can be what the OP needs, but he should know that the tone when you cut treble on the active pre is not the same as the results you get using the VTC.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 there... interestingly, with the OB-2, that very, very high treble control (6.5K) seems to mimic a passive treble roll-off more than the typical active treble control on most pre's, which is why I thought it might do the trick. However, again +1... if installing the VTC was not such a major ordeal, that would be the way to go!

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Another thing that I'm using a lot is cutting on the VTC while boosting the active treble. Some interesting tones with this interaction. I love it for fingerfunk, balance towards the bridge pickup to taste, big cut on the VTC and generous boost on the active treble.

14. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1 to that. I'm interested to try it out when I get it.