Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky... Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Sep 28, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Some guy came into GC the other day and whips out this badass looking Sadowsky. It's a 5 string, black with a clear pickguard, barts, maple neck, ashtray, the works. So the dude sits down and plays a few licks... the sound is buttah. So I start to talk to him and check the bass out closer. It was worn down, dented, scratched, and the back of the neck lacked a finish from the 1st to the 7th fret.
    "Wow, that looks pretty beat. Is it old?" I asked.
    "No, not really, like 5 years maybe. I just bought it from LA bass exchange for like $800."
    "Damn! But with all that wear, I guess that's about right."
    "Yeah, well it was on tour with some guy... I think his name was Jason Newstead."

:eek: this guy apparently has one of Jason's older sadowskys. Well, I had to play it. Roger, I must tip my hat. Those Sadowsky's are mighty fine basses. Even beat to hell, they are awesome.

BTW, how would I be able to check if it was really Jason's bass?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, if you had the serial number (especially with a hand-made bass), you could probably contact Sadowsky direct for verification.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, it wasn't that important. Just thought that LA BX would have it on their site... nope.

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Why was he bringing it in? Trade? Or trying out amps?

-GM

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, when I was buying my pre-Gibson Tobias recently. I e-mailed Michael Tobias with the serial number and he confirmed within a day, that it was a good one (the real thing) and that whereas the shop thought it was Basic model it was actually the Classic, one step up! So it is worth e-mailing the maker.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    He brought it in to try out amps, but it seemed more like he was showing it off.

If he comes in again, I'll try to check the #.

7. TONE TO DIE FOR.

Yep, that's how I'd describe the Sadowsky 4 string jazz that was Fed Ex'd to me last week. Words can't really do it justice but...

It has THE sound I've heard for years and always wanted to have in a bass. Incredible. The slap and pop thang starts and ends with Sadowsky. It's also very versatile with the passive tone control. Every compliment you've read, heard, rumored about his basses is true. The worksmanship is perfect. The tone of the bass augmented by the incredible preamp is nirvanah.

I have an upgrade AAA quilt top in caramelburst on a swamp ash body, highly figured birdseye maple 'board, and gold hardware. The finish and figure of the woods are unbelievable. It's one of the most elegant and beautiful instuments I have ever seen. (If anybody wants a pic or to place it on their website and post the URL on this forum let me know.)

I had a 48th St. Custom j-bass with Roger's preamp and pickups and thought it sounded pretty darn good. My bass sonically blows it away. If ever there was proof that the wood matters, this is it!

Some will argue it's an overpriced modded Fender. I've been there and done that with many brands . With Fender or many other manufacturers I would've kept looking for better tone, neck, shielding, preamp, worksmanship...quality in general. Now that I have the Sadowsky the pinnacle is reached and there is nowhere else to go.

The joy and satisfaction that I have from this instrument is well worth the price of the bass. Essentially, I can count on this bass for many decades of incredible tone; playability; accessable, reliable, friendly, expert service, and big grins. Music is one of the greatest joys in my life and is extremely important to me. I'm grateful that I discovered Sadowsky instruments. For me, life would not be the same and as sweet without it.

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    After i first try what would become my Sadowsky I knew i couldn't live without it anymore.
    I went in a music store a couple of years ago, the guy there wanted to see and try my Sadowsky. And he was laughing at me. Telling me why i spent 4000$ (I live in canada) on a swamp ash jazz bass. He said i could have bought a fender '76 reissue and put a good pre-amp in it....and he was laughing and making fun of me. And while he did that he plug the bass and played and open E.
    The look on his face change, and he said: now i understand

and after that i was laughing at him!
    :)

My Sadowsky is a 4 string cherry sunburst, quilted maple top, maple fretboard, black hardware.
    I love it so much.
    I often wonder what i would do if anything happen.
    A new one would would not be the same....

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Rojo412,

I heard that Jason plays a Lakland now. Would you know about that?

10. He may play many things. Fact: he purchased 8 Sadowsky basses.

11. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Regarding the used bass that supposedly was Jason Newsted's--yes I would need the serial number to confirm that. I don't have any recollection of making him anything with Bartolini pickups. At last count he had purchased about 18 instruments, incuding one as a gift for his producer, Bob Rock.

I don't know anything about the Lakland. I have no "endorsement" arrangements with anyone and Jason is welcome to play anything that gets him off.

Again, thanks to all for the kind words.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WHOA! Was that who I thought it was?

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    yes it is!
    he often do that, I posted some question on some news group and often answer them himself.
    That is great service my friend!
    and exept for dingwal i never seen anybody else look in news group and forum.
    sorry, i forgot!
    i also seen Steve Rabe once!

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Jeez, I forgot about this thread!

As for Jazz basses, I've played a few new Fender Americans that KICK @$$, but look average, have bad action and just fall victim to being production. Sadowskys (from what I've played) are the best jazz style basses around.

BTW, speaking of Lakland and custom stuff, etc... Will we ever see a Sadowsky with "Lakland-style" pickup configuration (MM and J), 22 or 24 frets, wide(er than jazz) neck? Forgive me if I'm out of the loop a bit, but I just thought that would be a sweet bass.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Your kidding right, that wasnt really Roger Sadowsky was it? I dont own a Sadowsky but I will admit after watchin My John Patitucci instructional video again this morning, Im really impressed with the way they sound, I havent ever played one because I can never find one. Ok Im still trippin about that being Rodger Sadowsky. I didnt think peeps like him actually came here. Whoa!!

16. Yes, it was Roger Sadowsky. Believe it or not, like William Wallace in "Braveheart", Sadowsky is a flesh and blood mortal.

Sadowsky does make a 24 fret 5 string bass with EMG 40-J pickups and 4 and 5 string PJ models. He describes them on his site www.sadowsky.com. I had asked him about a midrange control. It's not standard on his basses and I decided against it (for me simpler is better). However, it is an option he offers.

I love my bass so much it's absurd. Even my wife noticed the difference in tone and punch compared to my old J bass and she loves the figured woods. If any of you curious folks or those who doubt the merits of this bass are in the Ft. Lauderdale region, you can try mine out.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

good idea!
    and if you live near montreal you can try mine!
    We will be Sadowsky's non official bass seller!

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's super to see Mr. Sadowsky take an interest in what is going on with this BB. I think that BB's like Talkbass gives the manufacturers a feel for what is going on at the street level. We are still the bread & butter, even for the high-end.

I did notice a post by the SWR service group regarding the testing of preamp tubes on the amp board a while back. It'd be nice to see Eden show up every once in awhile. Jerry J

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I for one look forward to manufacturers participation here, nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. Some are apprehensive about it, based on appearances. I'm glad others aren't.

Thanks, Roger.