Sadowsky??? Yeeeeeeessss....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 25, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i finally did it. after many many months of hoping and waiting, i finally bought a Sadowsky!

like i mentioned in another thread, i never did fully appreciate the flawless machines that Roger built until after about a year of going thru MANY other fender style basses, and realizing that, yea, Sadowsky's are the ultimate!

so, in visiting the shop one faithful day, where i documented it here, i was shown this particular PJ bass' teal body before construction, which happened to also be on the last week of its finishing. needless to say, i immediately put my down payment on it!

specs-wise, its a very lightweight alder done up in teal green metallic, with a mint green pickguard, and rosewood fingerboard. the pickups are the usual Sadowsky humcancelling PJ setup, with active preamp & passive tone knob/switch.

tonally, its got that weighty bowel moving Pbass thump with the added edge and midrange chew of the bridge jazz pickup. admittedly, its a sound that i have never really heard before playing this bass. and daggit, its darn addictive! i always loved that growly chewy tone of my dual j pickups, but WOW, never knew how much punch and booty a pbass could add to a jazzy-ish bass.

the treble and bass knobs are both boost, with flat being fully down. at first, i thought the bass was gonna be too muddy for me, given that i was always a maple/ash kinda guy, but right off the bat, i noticed how clear and bell like the tones were! no need to boost the trebs. actually, i wanted more of that thumpy bass booty! both knobs, especially the treble boost, can be monstrous and overpowering. BUT the passive high cut knob does wonders to tame the highs, and also add a new dimension to your tonal options.

at first, i thought the passive hi cut knob would be redundant, and maybe mainly for getting the most "vintage sweetness" outta the pbass pickup, but if you fiddle with the treble boost and passive knob together, you can literally carve out certain unique tones that you couldnt possibly get with just using either one. its only when you use them together, and add in some mo' low end booty via the bass boost, its possible to unlock some very cool and unique tones outta the PJ pickups.

its hard to explain but its like a sweet mix of modern and vintage sensibilities. the modernish active preamp and sweet fendery tones of the pickups make for a cool blending of old & new world tones in one bass. like going from "Zender-esque" 31st century dance to "Rocco-like" old sckoo funk with the twist of a few knobs!

asethetically, the teal green metallic is just too cool and dang sexy. (did i just call a bass' finish "sexy"? oi... ) the picture shows the nice metallic flakes but you really have to see it in person with the lights shining off of it to fully appreciate the awesome finish the guys in the shop did with this one. its just simply abfab. and tho, the mint guard is mighty fine, i'm thinking of swapping it out for a tortoise or black guard for a little somethin' different. sorry, Roger... :p

all in all, i couldnt be happier with both the bass, and especially that trademark service. a big up to Frank who really helped me out in finalizing the bass' setup, and for also being sooo patient with my scatter-brained-ness. didnt really help that i was playing hooky from a busy work day to pickup the bass. oi... and of course, Roger, who as always, treated me just like another rock star who happened to walk into his shop. :bassist:

i'm loving this bass soo much, that i already put in another order for a 5 string vintage jbass! but then again, i dont see how i could really need anything else, other than this PJ. hopefully, i'll still remember that i do own other basses from time to time!

oh, and sorry for the needless and indulgent gushing, but heck, if you played this jawn, you'd freak too! :D
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You have every reason to gush, she's beeYOOteeful! :eek: Love that color, alder does have big warm tone, and PJ's are cool. Congrats!

And sorry, but I do have to add the obligatory "you suck". :D
  3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Congrats Joker! Thanks for the info. Between you adn JR Brown, I've got Sadosky GAS big time! Not to mention hearing all the Sadowsky sound clips in the preamp comparison from Vanselus and Josh at

Damn it. Just when I think I'm happy and have allI want and need .... sigh's an endless vicious circle. Why do I even read Talkbass threads? I want, I want, I want!
  4. Ah all the "slap" samples at are the verse to Aeroplane!?!?!?
    I guess it works as a good example of a slap sound but its kind of amusing to hear it played so many different times from different amps and basses...
    I'm about done now

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Welcome to the club!! I love my pj4. I feel the same about the tone. I also have a jj5 21 fret. A bit different in overall tone but still shakes the room! Good luck with it!

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    congrats Jae,
    that's very sweet. I love the color also. There is indeed something very unique about the thump of a P Bass. But you get the best of both worlds with the P/J.

I have a P/J Hot Rod Precision, and until I got my Elrick it was my slap bass of choice - soloing the neck P pup. It just has a better thump than my Thumb. When picking on it, it's great to be able to dial in some bridge pup to sweeten the sound.

Hmmmm. I've never played a Sadowsky. I'm kind of scared to, because if they're as good as people say - and I'm sure they are - I'd buy one on the spot.
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    SWEET AXE! I'm looking and thinkin bout getting one of those next. Lets meet up sometime and hear that bass ;)
  8. Very nice!! Welcome to the club.

Have you played a fretless yet?? ;)

I've never played better basses than the two Sadowskys I own. I have a 3rd on the way...

9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I want one too, but I can't afford one right now. I'll have to stick to my Ernie Ball's.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  11. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    actually, if we go meet up, lets just meet up at sadowsky, I wanna get a few price quotes on some stuff I wanna get done, plus I'm itching to play a few before I start saving for one.
    *edit* and update your profile :p is that custom jazz the one from adrian?
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Holy effing cow! Man, I want that!
  13. That is sweet Joker...I'm expecting one of Roger's 4 bangers in a few months and that sure does make me wish it was November right now!!! Enjoy her!!
  14. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

Get Newsted to give (loan) you one of his...:D
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm digging that green color in a major way - mmm, metallic.

very nice bass.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey guys!

thx for all the cool words. i know my gushing was practically a novella, but i'm starting to really see the light when it comes to Sadowsky gear. literally nothing like 'em.

mini NYC TB get together?! ;) we can get Capt. Red on the bill, and maybe see if Frank can let us demo stuff on a late Thursday. he's usually there for a long while after closing.

but no, my custom jazz is a parts bass put together by my Mokodo at Rudy's Repair. Hipshot ultralite tuners, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, Badass II, USA Custom body/neck. he did such an incredible job, that its pretty much has filled my 4 string wants.

actually, no, but if Marcus M.'s tone is any indication, i'm dying to!

and yea, like i said, i also reserved a vintage style jazz 5 string! will the madness ever end?! :eek:
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My last words of every conversation are 'give me your bass' and he replies 'no'. LOL. :bawl:
  18. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

I'm still happy with my Sadowsky.
    Actually, I'm more happier today than yesterday.
    Today, a co-worker finally got his Fender Marcus Miller bass in. (I've always wanted to try one).
    Tonight I A/B'd it against my Sadowsky--no contest. Bottom line: You get what you pay for.

FYI: The MM was surprisingly light and nicely constructed. For $500.00 used, it's a winner in that price range.
  19. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    did you happen to run into Nino btw?
  20. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    congratulations!!!I'm just as happy with my sadowsky purchase..they are truly amazing instruments!!!