Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsy Metros - My encounter and 2 centavos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Nov 22, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I was at the PA guitar show yesterday and saw my 1st set of sadowsky metros at the guitar villa booth. I'll have to say i was very impressed. It seems that they live up to the hype. I got to play a "vintage" 4 in white with a maple board (which i'm assuming was alder, although they list the vintage basses on the website with rosewood boards and alder bodies), and a "standard" ash body/maple board in both the 4 and 5 string flavors. All were very cool, the vintage one sounded a little "fatter and warmer" but it was subtle. The five seemed to be the lightest one of the bunch by a hair. All the basses sounded and played great. The only odd thing was that on the vintage bass the maple board was a seperate peice of wood like on all of the nyc basses i've seen, but on the two standard basses the beck and board were one peice of wood. This was odd, and kind of a bummer as i always liked the idea of the fingerboard being a seperate peice of maple. Overall I have to give the basses the thumbs up, and at under 2k, they're right there with mike lull and other jazz copies.

2. Ivan
    I just got a MV4 over the weekend and it's excellent. It has a lighting fast neck. At first I thought it was a one piece neck too and I had to look very closely, but it does appear to have a seperate maple board. Plus, the overhang at the base near were it meets the body is were you can tell it's two pieces. The board on the Metros are about a 1/16" thinner than on the NYC bass I compared it to, but that bass has a birdseye board so that may be why. The headstock is also about a 1/16" thinner than the NYC. There are NO dead spots while lacking the graphite rods and slighty thicker headstock. The only other difference I could find was the cover and no inserts for machine screws in the cavity cover mounting. Wood screws were used but very nicely done. One side of the cover sat a little lower in the lip than the other making a slight difference running your finger over it. Not a big deal. Maybe because the cover was a bit different from the NYC in so much that it had a beveled inside edge compared to the NYC that was a more presicion cut. All very small differences for BIG savings.... The Metro is a sure winner! Thanks Roger and Nino!

I also ordered one of the InCases that Sadowsky offers. Man O Man what an excellent case! Clever design, very functional, light, extremely well made. Nicest guitar case I ever had. A great purchase.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sadowsky rules!! The metros do, too. My trans blue 4 smokes. It is getting more use than my NYC 4 or 5 over the last couple months since I picked it up. Its that good. The neck has a separate board, you didnt look close enough. All his basses do.

Guys, dont hesitate.

Rob

4. Hi Bike
    Man that blue Metro is sure a looker. I like pickguards but yours is a winning match with the blue a maple board. I got the MV in 59 burst and it's got a fit and finish that will compare to best of the best. I can't believe how fast the neck is... Also, I've been playing the heck out of my NCY PJ/4 since I put the Sad flats on it, sooo sweet.

Hey question for you. Do find yourself utilizing your 5 string much since you seem to be more of a 4 stringer like me? Just curious about a 5.

5. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I love my 5. Its super light, easy to play for a 5, etc. Unfortunately, the gig I've been doing the last couple years lends itself more to a 4 string. We are an east coast circuit rock band, some dance. Alot of tunes are from the last fews years which require drop D tuning, ala Creed, etc. It is much easier to use my NYC 4 and metro 4 for this project. Flip the D tuner and I'm ready to go. I miss the extra couple notes for a few tunes but overall I'm happy this way. I bring the 5 here and there, just to keep her happy!!

Previous bands, especially my dance band out west lended itself more to a 5 string.

It all depends on the gig. Either way, I'm covered with 3 beautiful Sadowsky's. Here is the pic of my 5.

Rob

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    maybe i was wrong but i looked QUITE closely at all 3 basses and could only discern a seperate maple board on the "classic" bass - i do know what to look for :rolleyes:

7. So the others had a "skunk stripe" on the back? 'Cause that's the only way to install a truss rod if there's no separate board....

Mike

8. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

No disrespect. I have 3 of his basses and have owned a total of 12 over the years. Then again, maybe it is something he just made a change to. Who knows

Rob

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i didn't see a skunk stripe, but then again, i wasn't looking for one. No disrespect to sadowsky intended, just seemed odd. I could have been wrong. The seperate maple board on the classic bass was quite evident, if the others had seperate boards it was as subtle as i've seen.
    like i said, all the basses were great, they're definitly in the running for when i buy a jazz bass.

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Cool. Glad you liked them. If you are gonna spend the $, they should be considered when stepping up to a quality instrument. If you gig alot, you will fall in love with the sound and ease of the preamp. It is the best. Best of luck

Rob

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i've dug the preamp for years, i also like the aguilar one and the outboard by those 2 and t-rex. i never got to try the fishman variety. The only real bummer on those basses is the lack of a passive tone control, that has a sound that can't be duped by active eq (more so on the sadowsky type preamps as they are boost only) of course turning the treble down on the amp works, but it's not the same.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I bought my RV 5 after a friend tradded his maple NYC for a metro, Roger had told him that unless you want custom specs or a special top there is no difference between the NYC and the Metros. Upon receiving I was truely impressed. I went with the Rosewood, Shadowsky's can be bright, and had the vintage tone control installed. It is a truely incredible bass that jumps out front in any mix and yet fills space with single notes like no other instrument I've owned. I still love my Buzz (pedula) But the combination of clarity, definition and punch makes the Sadowsky a very impressive instrument.
    Steve B

13. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    How do you like the b-string?

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Well Mike, there's another way to do it actually. G&L techinque is to cut a single piece of maple in its center, rout for truss rod and glue the two pieces again with an high pressure jig. The cut is vertical of course. Not sure I'm making myself clear but you can take a look here: http://www.glguitars.com/features/index.asp

Peace,
    JP

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a Fender Marcus Miller 5 string which I still think is a great bass. It wasn't until a played my Metro 5 for the first time that I finally understood the B string debate. Very piano like tone to it, if you know what I mean. The Metro bass combined with the Sadowsky strings is a sweet combination. I just received 5 sets of strings in the mail from NYC. I can't wait to hear it with brand new strings. Even with old Sadowsky strings the bass still sounds great. I tried another brand of strings but they were gone in a week. I put on the old Sadowsky strings and I had my tone back.

16. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    What do you mean with the piano-like tone? I haven't heard a bad thing about Sads yet, so I assume that the b-string is tight and punchy.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usually people refer to piano like tone as good thing, meaning clear, i believe.

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the b string on the metro i tried was great. not piano like (although piano liek is a good thing too). to me a modulus graphite bass has more of the tight piano like tone. the sadowsky metro b had a very warm yet together tone, not wolly or wobbly. i usually hate 5 string jazz basses but the sad was an exception, it really captured the j bass vibe well. one of my favorite sadowsky 5 strign sounds is the dude from our lady peace's tone, and this bass really captured that type of sound. imo, most jazz bass 5's are kind of a "me too" sorta thing with the b string thrown on as an afterthought. the metro wasn't like that at all, very impressive. i think i'll need a 4 and a 5 :cool:

19. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have a baby grand piano in my living room. If you pluck one of those strings you get a clear, defined tone even though it is an ancient family heirloom. That's what I am getting at. I can hear the note not just feel the frequency. The Marcus Miller in comparison to the Sadowsky sounds like a 'thud' when fretting the low C. I'm sure if I put new strings on the MM it would sound better but still far off the Sadowsky. If nobody buys my MM5, and I pay off my GAS debt, I am tempted to put the Sadowsky pups and preamp in the MM as a spare bass but really what I want is one of those NYC PJ 5. Oh no!!! here I go again.

20. I'm very impressed with the MV4 and I'm pondering a MV5. I just want to make sure I can justify it's use. I'm going to try a NYC 5 string in the next couple days to see if I can or can't live without one.... My buddy is getting it in a day or so and he's bringing it over for a test-funk.

Bike- I have a Drop D tuner on my PJ and I like it but I still have to tune-tweak everytime... Frank put a teflon nut on my bass so it would not stick when dropping. It still sticks though and I've tried some graphite which helps, but still sticks. I'm hoping it will wear in a bit. It's better since I put flats on the PJ. So, I didn't get one on the Metro and I'm just tuning down manually for several of our Drop D tunes. I may eventually put one on. I did however get the VTC added and I really like having that.