Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadwosky owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroferreira, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Is it possible to achieve, with the ash/maple combo and VTC (Vintage Tone Control), the sound of alder/morado??? and vice-versa???

Thanks,

Pedro

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, this is an amazingly subjective question. Depends on how sensitive your ears are. Some will say that a passive tone control will never make an ash bass sound like alder. Others will say, "in the mix, no one else is going to notice the difference between an ash/maple Sadowsky Jazz bass and an alder/morado Sadowsky Jazz bass, and you might not notice either". Good luck! :)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I feel you can with Preamp adjustments the vintage tone control is great for this.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Hey Pedro, if you're ever in Lisbon, drop me a line, and you can come and check my basses out, and see for yourself.

5. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Thanks.

I'm going to Lisbon on January's 27th to play in CCB, but I believe I won't have time to visit you :bawl: I wish I could...

Pedro

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

What's CCB?

7. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Centro Cultural de Belém

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Ah ....... !

Nice one, that's a great centre. Who are you playing with?

9. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    4 Mundo.

A band with original portuguese/etnic music.

We will play in the bar of CCB at (what they call) the happy hour, between 7 and 8 PM. People usually gets there to hear music after work and before returning home for dinner.

Now on with the topic.

I have a Jazz with alder/rosewood and I would like to buy an ash/maple bass. This way I have both combos. I like the looks of maple fingerboard more, but I like the sound of my bass (very warm). Do you think that with a sadowsky metro ash/maple with VTC I can simulate the sound of my jazz bass?

Thanks,

Pedro

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, I think you could get close enough that you'd be happy with the results.

11. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Thanks.

That's the answer I was looking to hear :p

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a passive tone control on my F-bass and rolling it off definitely darkens the sound. My F Bass is Ash/Maple. Just started playing with the passive tone control and it's like dialing in more "Jaco" tones. Very cool. That said, I would bet the Vintage tone control on a Sadowsky would perform in a similar fashion.

13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I put Vintage tone control in my NY Sadowsky JJ Bass, but I don't see much use. I always turn it full. I think it will be more useful in passive mode or P bass.

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    ja agora!!! aqui vai um "thread" a portuguese :D

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont think you can get a metro with the vintage tone control........

anyhow, i played a few ash/maple metros. I got a very warm alder/rosewood like sound by leaving the treble boost all the way off and truning the bass boost up about 1/4 of the way. This worked equally well on a 4 and a 5

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

From what i understand the VTC can be added to the metros after their built.

17. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Hihihi.

Do you know I'm a good friend of your cousin Sara from Amarante?!?!? :hyper:
    My wife and Sara studied together and we are very good friends.

Pedro.

18. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    It depends. I hear bass players that have it and don't use it, and other use it a lot.
    I have a Jazz Bass and use the tone control often (when I want to "darken" the sound or try to imitate a double bass).