1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Safe, Kid Friendly Alternative to Scotts on my Lawn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Apr 7, 2006.

1. I have a (almost) two year old, and one due in July. I'm very hesitant about putting chemicals on the lawn, but I live in an area where if you don't do something, you could get overrun! What is a safe alternative that won't harm my children that will also give me some decent results with respect to weeds and health of my lawn?

Thanks.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Get the strongest vinegar you can find (At least 10%) and spray it directly on weeds in the heat of the day.

Well, this is safe for St. Augustine grass but I can't guaranty that it's safe for other types. It may yellow the grass a bit but it won't kill St. Aug. and it should take care of your weeds. IF you have some other type of grass then call up your local nursery or garden supply and ask them.

bc

3. It's mostly bluegrass and fescue around here.

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I ran right over here so I could say "vinegar!", but another Texan beat me to it.

Rock on, weeds be gone!

Cherie :)

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i live in atlanta. i know that i can buy a garlic compound spray to control the mosquitos and it wont harm the environment. maybe they also make an all natural thing like that for weed control instead if vinegar. vinegar does work as i've used it several times myself.

6. in wisconsin, we use cows :)

7. Well, don't they outnumber people by like 3:1? They should be put to work!

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You don't want Scots on your yard? How about Irish?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Reminds me of a quote from Blazing Saddles that is entirely inappropriate for posting.

:)

bc

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Same here!! Giggle!

11. I thought the same thing. Now how about some advice for MY YARD!!!:D

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    NaturaLawn Of America does a good job with my lawn. Recommended, and more kid/pet friendly than most competitors. Very reasonable price. I'm not sure if they have a franchise where you are.

13. Sadly I was thinking... What kind of stab at the Scotts is this now?

I am a Scott and part of the green machine. I have a complex. Had I been inbred, I would only have to be one

14. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Scotts works great on my lawn. My kids are healthy, too.:D

15. What about that arm growing out of their head?

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Vinegar will work fine for the weeds, but it won't fertilize anything, which is what Scott's is for. Do you just want weed control, or weed and feed?

17. Get your kid outside digging up the weeds. It'll be good for him. Builds character.

Rock on
    Eric

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Therrrrre ya go. That was one of Daddy's favorite "She broke curfew and I'm punishing her" jobs. A spray bottle of vinegar, and a hand trowel.

Or picking up mesquite beans from the yard. You can't rake 'em. Gotta bend down and pick 'em up.

Cherie

19. To answer questions, I am looking for weed and feed options. I have read about using corn gluten and kelp . . . I couldn't seem to find that at Lowes!!!!:D :D :D

And as for having the kids pull weeds. My daughter will be 2 in June, and my son will be born in July. Not quite weed pullin' age!

20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Then get out there and do it yerself, ya bum! :D