1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Safe strings for a vintage Rick 4001

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by K-Funk, Apr 9, 2009.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Like the title says, what would be some good strings that are safe to use with a '76 Rickenbacker 4001? I heard that they can only handle low-tension flats.... if someone could make a recommendation, that'd be amazing (preferably, some recommended flats AND rounds)

Thanks!

2. Well, rounds are typically lower- tension than most flats, so if you wanted, rounds will be fine. I would just use some sort of light gauge to keep tension down.

I've heard TI flats are good.

3. amhickman

amhickman

Mar 20, 2009
    I own a 1975 Rick 4001 and called the company about 8 years ago and was told to only use flats on the 70's Rick's. I use dean Markley flats and have had no problems with them. They do take getting used to after using rounds but after it is no big deal. Good luck with everything. Marty.

4. Some good suggestions HERE.

I've only used Rotosound Roundwounds in one form or another (currently RN66LD's) on my '81 4001S with no neck issues. Did have tail lift, though.

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    For low tension, I'd suggest Thomastiks (flats) or DR Sunbeams (rounds).

6. If your Rick is in good shape, any 040/095 set will be safe. By now, i´m using chromes or elixirs in that gauge on my 77 4001S.

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Right now, I have two packs of strings handy- a set of D'Addario .45-100 Chromes and a set of .45-105 XL Nickel-Plated Steels.

I know both the XL NPS strings and the flats are quite soft and easy on the frets, but would either set be too tense for the neck?

8. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    some really low tension tapeqounds?

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If the neck on your Ric is straight, and in good shape, chances are you're ok with any type of string at this point. If there was going to be a problem, it would have shown by now. I like the Roto 77 Jazz Flats on a 4001, but you shouldn't have trouble with anything, (within reason), including a set of ss roundwounds.

10. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Alrighty, thanks for the advice. I'll probably use the D'Addario XL NPS strings; I use them on my other basses and they give the sound I want. Also, they seem to be about average in tension and are very soft to the touch for rounds.