Safe to hook an electric drumset up to a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ron Johnson, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I traded a guitar for an electric kit a while ago and started teaching myself percussion.

Even putting headphones on with the volume up all the way, it is still easy to hear the sticks and pads slapping over the actual digital samples. Sometimes when nobody is around, I plug the kit into my little Crate combo, but it sounds so crappy and floppy through that. I'm considering plugging into my half stack (Fender 410 and 300 watt head), but I don't want to risk damaging the speakers.
    On the combo, I would make sure not to turn it up any further than where the clipping LED shines, and I couldn't care less if I damaged my old combo I got for 40 bucks, but I would care if I damaged the half stack.

It's not like I would turn it up very loud, but I want to make sure the wide range of frequencies and harsh attacks of the drum set wouldn't damage my amp.

Has anybody done this before? Thanks.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I've used drum pads and a vst through my bass rig with no issues.

3. The question you should ask... Is it safe to hook up your bass to a bass amp.

As long as you don't go above the physical limitations of the amp you will be fine, but how do you know what the limitations are.

If there is some sort of high pass filter on the amplifier or on the drum brain then use it.

4. Now Roland and others sell amps and monitor systems made specifically for drums. There was a time that THE most recommended amp for electronic drums was the Roland KC550 keyboard amp. (I have one of these by the way...)

I can't see that there is any reason that your Fender 410 could not handle the range of sounds that come from an electronic kit at reasonable volumes.

I'm not sure that it will be the best sound, but shouldn't be bad.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, it'll be fine as long as you're not pushing it overly loud, same as with your bass.

if there's a tweeter/horn involved, switch it on for the electronic drums.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021