Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Safe to use 2.6 ohm load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm planning on getting a Clarus Focus or perhaps a Bergantino audio amp and using it with a 2x10 4 ohm cab and later adding a single 15" or 8" 8 ohm cab which would make for a 2.6 ohm load.

Anyone else doing this ? Will that low of a load look like a dead short and fry the amp?

Jaz

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's the head's minimum rating for ohms? If it's 4, I wouldn't go below it. Many have fried their heads this way. Some heads even claim to go down to 2 ohm but fry when doing so (most recently, Mesa Big Block comes to mind here with a few confirm cases for fryage at 2 ohms). Bottom line, stick to what the head manufacture states!

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Currently I'm using a Clarus SL/R which is rated at 340 watts into 2 ohms but I'm a bit leary of running it at such a low impedance. I'm thinking of upgrading to their focus amp...

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No problem then. I even ran a Hartke 3500 head (4 ohms minimum) at 2.67 ohms for two years with no problems (always taking care not to force it so much), but it's something I don't recommend doing.

ANDRUCA

5. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    AFAIK, the Focus is NOT rated down to 2 ohms.

Contact AI and ask, they were very helpful when I emailed them some questions about the Clarus. Good people.

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info.