Safe to use 2.6 ohm load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm planning on getting a Clarus Focus or perhaps a Bergantino audio amp and using it with a 2x10 4 ohm cab and later adding a single 15" or 8" 8 ohm cab which would make for a 2.6 ohm load.

Anyone else doing this ? Will that low of a load look like a dead short and fry the amp?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's the head's minimum rating for ohms? If it's 4, I wouldn't go below it. Many have fried their heads this way. Some heads even claim to go down to 2 ohm but fry when doing so (most recently, Mesa Big Block comes to mind here with a few confirm cases for fryage at 2 ohms). Bottom line, stick to what the head manufacture states!
  3. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Currently I'm using a Clarus SL/R which is rated at 340 watts into 2 ohms but I'm a bit leary of running it at such a low impedance. I'm thinking of upgrading to their focus amp...
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No problem then. I even ran a Hartke 3500 head (4 ohms minimum) at 2.67 ohms for two years with no problems (always taking care not to force it so much), but it's something I don't recommend doing.

5. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    AFAIK, the Focus is NOT rated down to 2 ohms.

Contact AI and ask, they were very helpful when I emailed them some questions about the Clarus. Good people.
  6. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info.