Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Safe to use the direct out without a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I was once told that it is very hard on the PA section of a head to run it without a cab connected to it. Is this true for amps with a dedicated recording line out? I don't see how it could be hard on the amp.

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Depends, if it's solid state you should be fine, a tube amp might not like it.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If your amp has a power amp input, wire up a 1/4 inch mono plug with the tip shorted to ground. Plug it into the power amp input, and your power amp no longer sees any signal. I've seen this done on many amps; a lot of times guys just use an unwired plug, but a shorted one is better. It's critical for some tube amps, although many have a built-in shorting connector on the output to prevent output transformer burnout. I've repaired enough tube amps that had that "safety feature" to be leery of depending on it.

--Charlie Escher

4. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Well I'm planning on getting an i-amp350 and I would like to use it in my apartment for recording. The amp has a speaker on/off switch and a dedicated output for recording. Could this switch just make it so the power amp doesn't see a signal?

edit: the amp is solid state

5. It is my understanding that you can play a SS amp without speakers and it will not harm the amp. It is also my understanding that you cannot do this with a tube amp as it will blow the output transformer.

6. tomg

tomg

Mar 15, 2004
    brooklyn
    OJ-

The iamp 350 has the speaker switch for that very purpose.

OK, maybe they had some other purposes in mind too (such as silent practice via headphones), but direct recording is the one that makes most sense to me. In any case, I record direct with the iamp 350's DI output, occasionally with the speaker turned off - no problem.

-Tom

7. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Great. That's a handy feature to have. How's it sound recorded direct?

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Depends on the amp. Check the manual. My Eden has a tube but it is okey dokey to DI out without a cab hooked up.

9. tomg

tomg

Mar 15, 2004
    brooklyn
    Jason-

It sounds very good direct. I have the iamp 350 combo, and the sound direct through my monitors is strikingly close to the sound that comes out of the EA's internal speaker.

-Tom