1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Safe Travel - neck off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael B, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I saw a video the other day where the performer mentioned that they travelled with the neck off.

If you are travelling light, do you do this? Perhaps so you can take your bass as a carry on? Or just so it might be safer in smaller pieces not under string trnsion etc.

Curious. Cheers.

2. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Crickets....

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I've never traveled by plane or anything like that with my basses, but when I've sold basses I've shipped them with the neck off to save money. I've gotten basses like this too. didn't seem to have a negative effect.

Scatabrain likes this.
  4. Scatabrain likes this.
  5. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I do it frequently because the airlines usually and understandably don't allow me to carry the bass as hand luggage.
    Neck and body are protected well by the padding the cloths provide. It is also much easier through customs because it is inconspicuous compared to a gig bag or case.

6. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the link. Considering that was 8 years ago I was concerned air travel has changed.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    If you are really worried about it, buy a cheap bass (or a Fender Road Worn) for traveling only. This way if it gets beat up, it doesn't hurt as much as a nice one would.

8. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Agreed. That's what the Squier is for!!