Safe Voltage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    How High/Low relative to 120 does power have to be before it effects your equipment?I just got a Furman with a Voltage Meter and it's reading 130 in my house.Is that an unsafe level?Does anyone out there think having the Voltage Meter is worth the extra money or am I wasting money just to look at a few pretty lights?If so i'll take it back and just get the PL-8.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not familiar with the US system, but it's less than 10% difference. Take into account that multimeters accurate, etc. and you'll see that it should be in a safe area.

In my old flat my multimeter read up to 270 V (230 V system in Germany), and all my gear worked fine.

AFAIK a Furman doesn't really help in that case, but maybe some of the real tech pros know more.
  3. I have a small 300w UPS between my wall outlet and my gear.. it gives me 100 % guarantee that my gear will get exactly 220v, even when the mains drops below min. level, raises above the max. level, or even drops out for a couple of sec.

in fact.. if the power should fail.. the UPS will alow me to play my bass for another 20 minutes [​IMG]
  4. I wouldn't worry about your Furman showing 130V. Those meters are notoriously innaccurate. I'll have two FX racks plugged into the same service and one Furman will show 125V and the other might show 110V when the real voltage is 115V.... I don't think they're totally useless though, they will show you a ballpark voltage.
  5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What are you going to do about if the volatge is high or low?Not play?
  6. Agreed. There is an easy fix for the problem though. Take a strip of black electrical tape and place it firmly over the display and viola! No more problem...:)
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    So it is a waste of money to have the voltage meter?I mean, i've played with out one for ten years.What good will it do me to know what the voltage is?If it's too low doesn't the circuit breaker trip on the Furman anyways?
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    That's what I thought when I was deciding getting a power conditioner with a volt meter. Maybe ignorance is bliss.