1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

safe way to daisy chain PA speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bovine mind, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    the traynor 215 i was using has a blown cone.

i have two 8 ohm Peavey 15" PA speakers i'd like to use as a backup 215 until i can get the traynor repaired. the PA speakers have two inputs on the back.

in the interim, would it be safe to run them this way:

SVT-CL : one output to Ampeg 810. second output to 1st PA speaker, run a speaker cable from its other input to the 2nd PA speaker.

can't quite figure out what the total load would be in this configuration.

the SVT-CL has taps for 2 or 4 ohms.

this is a very loud band, i'll need to keep the same volume for the next week until i get the traynor back. yet another ghetto rig.

safe to do this?

2. That wiring is fine.

You will have a total impedance of 2 ohms.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Assuming that the 8x10 is 4 ohms, you could daisy-chain the Peavey speakers off of the other speaker output IF: Each speaker must be 8 ohms and the two inputs on them must be parallel. Make sure that you select 2 ohms on the head.

4. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    thanks.

the 8x10 is 4 ohms.

unfortunately there is very little info anywhere on the PA speakers. Model is "Peavey 115DL". Would it be reasonably safe to assume the PA speakers are 8 ohms with parallel inputs?

5. I assumed they were 8 ohm speakers because that's what you wrote in the first post.

I can't imagine the jacks would not be wired in parallel.

6. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i can't find a confirmed ohm rating for those PA speakers, just one message board post from a guy thinking they were, and from my [limited] experience, it seems odd for a low grade PA speaker to be rating anything but 8. these are the kind of speakers you see in acoustic coffee shop shows.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You can always measure the 15" speakers with an ohmmeter to see what impedance they are. 8 ohm speaker should measure around 6 ohms (at DC) with a meter.

bassmeknik likes this.

8. +1 And a 4 ohm speaker would measure about 3 ohms DC. All common hand held DVOM's measure ohms DC which will masure out to slightly less than the impedance rating

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

There's a good chance you'll drive the PA speakers to overextension, destroying them. They won't handle nearly the excursion that the 810 will, and at a loud volume you won't hear them starting to fart out.

I would rather rent another proper bass cabinet than risk destroying the PA cabs.

If you can't be heard with an 810 there's something wrong...

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Well, if I really didn't have any idea what the PA cabs were, I'd probably just rent another 2x15 or 810, warranted or not.

11. The best answer is another 810 and ear plugs.