Safeguarding your gear

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by steveksux, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Tell the owner for third time not to let anyone use it and wander off while the other bands set up.

2. Do nothing. People should know better. First 2 times were a fluke.

0 vote(s)
  3. Stick around while other bands set up and make sure nobody uses your amp.

4. Other.

1. Lets say you're playing a gig where its possible other bands will be invited to play a few sets the nights you are playing. You don't want other people to use your gear. How do you go about making sure they don't use your stuff?

Just to make it interesting. Lets say you've already asked the bar owner/manager/guy running the show not to let other people use your stuff, and twice you've either found people playing on your rig, or all the knobs were turned to 10 later that night when you go back on stage.

2. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Take your power cable when you get done playing.
  3. I just unplug from the amp, put the front cover back on my rack case and lock it (power off). It takes about 15 seconds to be back up and running when I return; obviously this is with a hybrid head.
  4. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    piss on their guitars!
  5. ROFL
  6. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    but dont forget that sharing backline is the only thing that allows many bands to play in other towns, the first things to be left behind will be the drum kit and the bass amp...

If you have a decent rig then the chances are it is not going to blow up easy, plus you get to see someone really appreciate it and you get to hear how good it sounds from a unique perspective.

Theres nothing like making a 4hr journey home unpaid because someone refused to help you out!
  7. JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    put on a small sign that says...."don't use my amp" if you come back and they are using it anyway smash their guitar...Over their head!!
  8. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    once you're done for the night, get the rig in your car and lock it. Perfectly secure as long as no one really REALLY wants that rig
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    randy's losing a lot of sleep over this!

10. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i was going t say put you amp cover on, pull the fuse, and take your power chord but i think they'd get the picture if you pissed all over their guitars
    make sure they're not plugged in~ :p

i remember when i was about 18 years old going into S.F. to see a show at the warfield, stopped to fill up on gas and take a leak the guy said "no public restrooms" when i made it clear i just had to pee, still said no. My friend and I went out back over the fence where they're cars were parked, a Lexus, and a Mercedes, and pissed all over them! it's great to be the pisser!!! i'm not into that r kelley thing :D
  11. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You forgot to add the option of sabotaging your rig (taking the power cord, taking the fuse, etc) which is what I would do in that situation.

If you drive four hours to a gig without an amp and without having talked to the amp's owner to verify that you can use it, you deserve to go home unpaid. You will have learned a valuable lesson and next time you won't be such an amateur. :)
  12. +1 Totally agree with ya there
  13. Agreed... Most of the time I'll bring an amp just in case even if I'm sure I can use theirs, especially if I think it'll suck. Usually just 1 cab + head instead of both. I'm not completely unlazy.

And yup, I shouldda thunk of sabotage, it was pretty early in the morning when I posted that.

14. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm really leanient on letting people use my amp, as long as I've talked to them before hand( meaning a few weeks prior to the show) and I know that they're not a stupid little kid who is going to just turn everything up as loud as it can get. Otherwise, as soon as we're done playing I start tearing my stuff down and taking it to my car/ designated area for band gear.
  15. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I like to flick the mute switch when I walk of stage the switch is really small.... (I rubbed the lettering off where it said mute too :p ) It's fun to watch them sweat while they think they broke something expensive.
  16. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    folks, when i had to drive home 4 hours cos of no amp, it had been writen in to the contract that we were to share drumkit and bass amp, a fact we checked several times before setting off with the venue, we are on a small label so they only pull out the tour support for large groups of dates, this means we are often stuck with one car to take 4 people and all the stuff, physically not possible..

when we arrived we found that the bands techs had had a change of heart.. the venue tried to claim we hadnt made arrangements to borrow backline until we waved the contract at them, personally i allways take a pod or a preamp so im covered but drummers dont find it so easy to improvise...with all the preparation in the world you can still get screwed

and believe me nothing offends my sense of proffessionalism more than having to borrow amps every night, most of the time they are **** and having to make extra calls to bands and venues to make sure sucks but being on a major sucks in the uk right now if you intend to get past your first album!
  17. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    hah! =D
  18. ROFL... NJL, are you the only one that made the connection? Smart man... Hey, I'm just making sure I'm not the one that's ..... you know...

I couldn't resist. As I may have mentioned before, I have a little man inside me that tells me to do bad things sometimes. This time I had to comply... :D

19. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i guess the batteries in the tape recorder ran out...