safely test fearful 12/6 build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seth Miller, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Well, I finally got around to buying drivers and the 'cheap but good' crossover components. It's all assembled, wired up and ready to go. All I need is a cable with a speakon end or an adaptor.

I'm kind of scared, fearful I guess, to try it. A little scared that if I made a mistake I'll blow up an amp.
    Is there a good test that I can perform to it before I hook it up?

Thanks!

2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Scary, right? I'm no expert, but here's what I did.

If you have an multimeter, test the impedance. Try the battery test, connecting a 9v battery to the speaker input, and check that the woofer moves and you hear a click from the mid. If that works properly, try it with an amp on very low volume, with a pink noise signal.

If anything doesn't work right, use a battery connected to two wires to backtrack the signal to see where it might have gotten lost.

Good luck!

3. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Cool. Thanks :)

4. Seth Miller

Seth Miller

Jul 10, 2014
    Colorado
    Thank you so much! Idk why I didn't even think of measuring the resistance and making sure it wasn't zero. It lives. Wife is sleeping so I couldn't crank it up yet but at low volume it sounds great. Reminds me of when I rebuilt my first engine as a mechanic. You finish all the work and can't quite believe it runs.

Attached Files:

smeet likes this.