1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Safest/Most dangerous U.S. cities for 2006

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Oct30/0,4670,CityCrimeListGlance,00.html

The state of Illinois is noticeably absent. St. Louis is the worst, followed by Detroit.

My thoughts: Surprised Los Angeles is ranked as high as it is. Also surprised my city isn't ranked worse :meh:

(That was the only link that I found which contained the entire list, so don't accuse me of any bias. Google news search it if ya don't believe me.)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm surprised Madison WI is as high as it is. You'd think Halloween alone would put it a bit lower!

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i'm NOT surprised that camden, NJ is ranked that dangerous. it's a very small, albeit quite crime-ridden city. i used to live in a nice area about 10 miles from it.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My city is #264 on the list - Does that make it dangerous here?

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My city is number 39. I can believe it. Folks here leave their garage doors open OVERNIGHT.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    :bag:

7. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Nice. Anyone want to come visit? :bag:

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd be willing to bet that those numbers didn't include this year's massive spike in violent crime that happened after all the New Orleans folk showed up in Houston.

bc

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    364. Oakland, Calif.

Disappointing... Oakland is not the worse? C’mon guys... pick it up! Richmond is not that far behind them... man those 2 cities are right next to each other... pretty sad...

PS why EPA isn’t on the list... they were #1 for a while... now they just disappear from the list... C’mon East Palo Alto, represent!

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    321. Shreveport, LA

Yeah, it seems like atleast 1-2 people get shot here everyday.

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You have to take that list for what it's worth, and that isn't too much IMO. It says right in the article that cities who didn't provide crime reports aren't included. There are huge cities and many states not on the list...not because they are safest, but because they didn't report. For instance, neither Chicago nor New Orleans (or any Illinois city) is on the list.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    +1

EPA is not on the list... East Palo Alto is very bad... very very bad...

13. Indeed. Southwest Houston in particular is a much much scarier place nowadays (where a lot of NO evacuees have made home). One of the local news stations showed some figures not long ago that violent crime just in that region alone skyrocketed, though in most other areas it's gone down.

14. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Why did they leave IL out?

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Eh, I still think I'd rather walk around St. Louis than Baghdad.

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    St. Louis beats us in baseball first, and now this. Detroiters really need to step it up a notch, and show them how it's really done.

17. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    you know you live in upstate ny when one of the headlines on the news is "Colonie ranked #6 on list of safest cities". There's never anything good on the news here... :scowl:

18. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Woo Hoo! Baltimore slid to Number 12....and only number 2 of the cities above 500k in residence! Yeah! Baltimore!

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    C'mon now, how much harm can a bunch of drunks with tummies full of sausage cause?

20. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I caught this on the news last night... funny thing is I live between the 2nd and 3rd most dangerous cities, and only live an hour away from both.