Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saga Bass Bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Anybody know anything about this manufacturer? I found a P-bass body on eBay and the owner said it was made by Saga. Another thing, it's made out of maple. What would a maple body sound like?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never heard of Saga.

Maple is very bright, and also has great fundamentals. Not as warm as alder, and brighter than northern ash.

3. Bright eh? I don't think that fits my idea of what a P-bass should sound like.

Thanks

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

With a P bass pickup, it would still sound like a P bass, only with a little more top end.

5. My custom fretless Jazz has a 2 piece flame maple body. It's HEAVY - I don't mean heavier than usual or heavy compared to a lighter bass - I mean crick in yer back, boat anchor heavy! And I love it's tone. Like Embellisher said, a little more top end but the lows are still there and it's the only bass I've ever played that seems to have a swelling tone. By that I mean when you hit a note and hold it, the sound of the note swells up and really fills out under your grip. It probably has to do with the fact that the high mass bridge and dense body don't absorb the string vibration as much or it has some sorta harmonic resonance that turns the note back into the strings.