1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saga - Canadian Progressive Band calling it quits at end of 2017 after 40 years

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Saga - Canadian Progressive Band calling it quits at end of 2017 after 40 years

After 40 years and 21 albums, Canadian progressive rock band Saga will break up at the end of the year. Front man Michael Sadler made the announcement by posting an image of the statement to his personal Twitter account.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Girls and Boys,” it began. “This year marks 4 decades of writing, recording and touring as a band. However, after much deliberation and discussion, my brothers and I have regretfully decided that after 40 incredible years together, 2017 will be Saga’s ‘Final Chapter.’ With the exception of a very special one-off performance on the 2018 Cruise to the Edge, I’m afraid this is it, folks!”

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank absolutely everyone,” he wrote. “You have made it possible for us to have been on this incredible ride. Words alone will never be enough to express all our thoughts and feelings — we are completely aware that without all of you and your support, well … we wouldn’t be where we are right now. Although it will be bittersweet, we’re very much looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible this year. We will make every effort to visit new territories and hope the circumstances will allow it. Here’s hoping we’ll see you all somewhere on the road so we can thank you in person!”

Saga was formed in Oakville, Ontario in 1977 by Sadler and the Crichton brothers Ian (guitar) and Jim (bass), who, with the exception of a four-year hiatus for Sadler in 2007, have remained constant. They’ve continued writing and recording regularly, finding greater success in Europe but still maintained a fan base in North America.

Saga_Announcement.

twocargar likes this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Bummer. Saga is a highly underappreciated rock band, IMO. But I respect their decision to hang it up.

EDIT: If they play a show nearby, I will definitely go. I've never seen them live.

3. Classy band. I loved their material in the Silent Knight to Heads or Tails era.
    I saw them live at our National Arts Center for a gig with about 1,500 (seated) people. The sound was amazing and they were a great act (they were touring Worlds Apart). One concert that will live in my memory. Their cds are still in regular rotation for my commutes.
    Well, to quote Saga: "It's time to go..."

twocargar likes this.
  4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Saga has been one of my favorite bands since their first album. I have never gotten to see them live. It would be great if I could catch a show before they end.

DirtDog likes this.
  5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

One of my very favorite concerts back in the day. They put on a hell of a show.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Saga was monstrous in Germany back in the day. As in David Hasselhof big. Wonder if they still are?

I saw them live at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto in the '80's. Good show and such a tight band. The guitar and keys are so tight it is sickening. On the Loose is a good song to hear this.

Richland123 and twocargar like this.
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is another song that the guitar and keys are extremely tight. Ian Crichton is an incredible guitarist who deserves much more recognition.

MonetBass and Baird6869 like this.
  8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Check out Behaviour, The Security of Illusion and 10,000 Days if you haven't already; my favorite post-Worlds Apart albums.

Richland123 likes this.