Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Said No to the YBA200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Hiya,

Just thought I'd share.......

Did a few posts in the other YBA200 threads but thought I's make a new one rather than reviving old threads..

Got to try a new YBA200 in the flesh with my bass ( Stingray ) and similar cabs to what I use late last week...

Loved the tone but wasn't comfortable with the amount of headroom available..... I realise that with changing out the pre-amp tubes etc you can mitigate this to an extent but couldn't shake the feeling that it would be a hard life for this head with me pushing it towards it's upper limits pretty much constantly with the rooms that I play..... I'd rather have an amp that cruises along without breaking a sweat....

I guess that leaves me with the Sunn/Fender 300 or a 400+..

Oh well. I guess it just wasn't to be!!

Time to save a few more pennies.... Bummer....

I'm not knocking the YBA by any means.... Just don't think it's right for me...

Peace,

Dan

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Good luck trying to even find one of those beasties here in Australia.........

Looks super sweet tho.....

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sorry I missed that part mate.

I saw tube and headroom... I was in the market for a YBA200 too, came to the same conclusion and went for some big glass

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Loved the amp.... Don't get me wrong...

Just didn't fancy having to retube it every 6mths etc etc...

Thinks me needs more bottles :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: