Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saint-Germain-des-Prés ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by olivier, Mar 7, 2005.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Here is a link to a pretty good text (and a petition) explaining that the Costes brothers have bought Le Bilboquet, a legendary jazz club in Saint Germain which was opened in 1947 by friends of Boris Vian, to turn it into a restaurant. Sorry, it's in French, and I don't have time right now to translate it (volunteer welcomed).

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - you want us to sign up to the petition to keep it open, or to campaign for it to be a Jazz venue?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Free translation from a web site:

Live the jazz with the Cup-and-ball

With the angle of the streets Dauphine and Christine, there was the "Taboo". Henri Renaud carried out to it the ball and it is already Juliette Gréco whom one crossed in first.

Then, it is necessary to go up, take the street of Buci on the right and to enter on the grounds of the "Germanopratins". In the "Furstenberg", during more 15 years, André Persiani "Pepé" equipped environment with his agreements and solos "block chords".

To cross the street of the Seine. To have a small thought for Prévert by leaving the street which smiles, or by tasting glass of Sancerre to the "Bar of the Market".

To take on the left, descend the street Jacob. In these places, clubs, there was of it. "Peninsula", the "Green Bar", "the Jacob's ladder". It is in the latter that Jacques Douai, singer, created for the first time "the Dead Sheets" of Jacques Prévert & Joseph Kosma. Further in the street, one found "the Villa more recently". The new owner of the hotel made close the club to install the room of the breakfasts there... There one had been able to see for the first time, thanks to Danny Michel (thank you Dany), Brad Mehldau, Diana Krall, Joshua Redman, Bill Stewart...

It is necessary to make ravel the street Jacob to cross the street Bonaparte and to take on the left in the street St Benoit, the Jazz Coffee in Dad always levels us with his formula - low, piano -
    In what was the 52ème street of the French jazz, there was the "Latitude", one often found largest there like Billy Higgins, Tommy Flanagan, Ray Bryant...
    Hundred meters further, there was "Montana". It is Rene Urtreger who ran. A whole generation was pressed in front of the estrade to play with the delicious pianist be-bop.
    Between the two, the mythical Club German St - Cup-and-ball...
    Created in 1947 by a band of friends, this club under the crook of Boris Vian, saw the jazz crossing and multiplying.

Stones haunted by the agreements of Bud Powell, Bobby Jaspar or Django Reinhardt form part of our inheritance. If the United States is the birthplace of one of the most beautiful forms of artistic expression of the twentieth century, France was the land of welcome of the jazz!
    We knew to open our concert halls to Charlie Parker, Sidney Béchet or Davis Miles. Pleyel or Olympia was the cathedrals, the Club German St, the Parisian temple dedicated to the worship of the syncopated music.

A club which in the beginning was to be a den of buddies amateurs of Jazz with at their head Boris Vian, a club thus, which received the great names of the jazz, Americans especially, often constrained to come to express their talent in Europe. Miles Davis, Kenny Clarke, Duke Ellington, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Rhoda Scott, to only quote most famous, meet there Claude Bolling, Claude Luter, Martial Solal, Sacha Distel, Stephan Grappelli, Henri El Salvador and so much of other immense talents of the hexagon.

Chiefs of works were recorded there, the history of the French Jazz was written in this legendary cellar from now on.

According to our information, this high place of our cultural inheritance is threatened today of permanent closure, while being transformed very soon into simple brewery.
    We want to still believe that this project could be initially deferred, then modified, so that Saint-Germain-des-Prés keeps its last club of Jazz.

We call upon you today all, in the urgency, not only friendly of the jazz but all those which are attached to the heart of Saint-Germain-des-Prés.
    To join to you to us and to save this single place, we should all sign the petition.
    We count on your active support and highly let us thank you by advance.

Live the jazz with the Cup-and-ball

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I just bring this "Miscellaneous" bit of info here, FWIW, and you do what you want, of course. Actually I have mixed feelings about it, but listening to the old Parisian recordings of that period does illustrate that text and, besides recording, there's not much left of the Bebop hay days in Paris...

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Mechanical translation sucks just as bad as a Band-in-a-Box tune... "the Dead Sheets" of Jacques Prévert & Joseph Kosma is the best one in the bunch: here you should understand Autumn Leaves !

So we still need a volunteer...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

To be honest I don't really like that "Hot Club" style Jazz - you know, a couple of guitars - maybe violin and DB playing acoustically...I find it a bit "samey" and irritating as there seem to be a lot of buskers in England who do this and people say to me - oh that's great, is that the kind of Jazz you like? :meh:

I just wondered what kind of Jazz they had there and if the idea was to keep it open as a Jazz venue or just preserve it as a kind of heritage site?

If the latter, I'm dubious - but I would be happy to sign a petition for the former! :)

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    :rolleyes:

Some guitar players are crossing over from rock to jazz via that Manouche swing style, and back in the 80's I had the opportunity to jam on tub bass with legendary fiddle and mandolin player Howard Armstrong, so I am not going to bash swing/string music.

Anyway, the Bilboquet hosts all kinds of jazz, not specifically "Hot Club" type.

It says: Nous voulons encore croire que ce projet pourra être d’abord ajourné, puis modifié, pour que Saint-Germain-des-Prés garde son dernier club de Jazz. We would like to believe that this project [to turn the Bilboquet into a restaurant] can be stopped and modified so that Saint-Germain-des-Prés can keep its last jazz club.

Go ahead Bruce, sign the petition.