Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Salas basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Thinking about a four string, alder body, Spalted maple (possibly chestnut) top, maple neck and fingergoard with paduok accents Double cut R-bass.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

These basses are made by Tim Salas down here in San Diego so yes it is American. John Dimaggio of Bass Alone is the exclusive dealer for them. They are good basses at good prices...one of the reasons he keeps his prices low is because they are built with pre fab necks. If you don't mind that, I would say to give it a shot as they are generally a great deal.

3. i think Dark Mazda has one.

4. Thanks Jared, by pre fab necks you mean he buys them from somewhere? That wouldn't bother me as much as having a really nice playing bass would, as well as a nice sounding one. Have you ever played one?

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah I have played them. I almost bought one too but it was sold before I could snag it. I don't remember where he gets the necks from...perhaps Cort? He does good work so yeah I personally wouldn't care about the neck thing since his basses play well and sound good. Which one are you looking at?

6. its a custom 4, figured maple top, alder body, bolt on maple neck with ebony fretboard, Bassline J pickups and preamp and custom black hardware.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Do you mind me asking the price?

8. Not at all, its pre owned, would be buying it without paying- 1000 dollars

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Wow you can buy without paying? :eek: Sign me up! ;)

I know what you meant. ;)

Seems like a pretty decent price. I think that is about 2/3 of a new one so sounds about right. If you think you'll like it I would say go for it. Got pics?

10. Well, I should probably tell you that my dream bass is a fodera monarch 4, and there is also an R-bass used- custom 33 in scale P J P'ups with the whole Fodera setup (electronically, on off switch... etc) but I've never played one of those, and I dunno about the 33 in scale. Im gonna get you pics of both, gimme like 2 mins. and don't you have a Fodera?

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hmm that is interesting...yeah I have Fodera stuff.

Do you prefer the PJ setup over the jazz bass? How much is the R bass? I would probably prefer the R bass myself over the Salas. I've played quite a few and have really liked them. But that is just me.

12. I do prefer the sound of P J, just has an open air sound with nice definition, the R bass is 1800. I would def lean towards that bass, playing wise, what did you think of the feel? I prefer low action, lighter string gauges (40-95) and double thump/pluck alot of stuff. I really appreciate you talking to me on this man

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You sound like a Victor Wooten fan ;)

In terms of the feel? Well I have played five string R basses that were pretty darn close to my Fodera 5 strings in terms of feel and playability. They are not exact but they are still quite good. I would say I don't think a Fodera is 2-3 times the bass even though it is 2-3 times the cost. I mean if you are looking for something Foderaish without getting a Fodera I think you would be better suited to getting the R bass personally. It's almost twice as much but you don't want to regret your purchase down the road. It's better to spend more and be happy than save some money and not be fully satisfied in the long run.

And your welcome concerning the help...I try to do my best when I can. :)

14. thanks alot, I think you just may have impacted my bass decision. my only concern would be that 33 in scale. I doubt it'll make it suck, and if stanley can do it on 32... but I wonder what the diff. Feel wise will be from my Fender Jazz

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

oh...right I forgot about the 33 inch scale. Well I have played a 32 inch scale and didn't even realize it until I was told. I doubt it would be that big a deal. Especially if you are tuning EADG. Sure you will feel a small difference from a 34 inch scale (not necesarilly a negative thing) but I don't think it would be a deal killer on a 4 string. At least for me.

Do any of these basses have a trial period?

16. once again, thankyou, its really good to speak to someone who has played the bass your lookin at. But some bad news for ya..... you've been too friendly, so now Im probably gonna come to you with more problems in the future. Thanks again.

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Haha...I think that is the first time I have been accused of being too friendly around here. Thanks! :D

If you have anything specific you want to ask you can always PM me and I will help if I can.

But I still want to know, do any of the basses have a trial period?

18. I sent a couple of e-mails to the place, I'll find out if they have a trial period. If not, here are the specs of the R bass, anything catch your eye as being suspicious? Practically brand new, the owner let it go because he is playing 5-string exclusively now. It's a beautiful bass with spalted maple top & headstock that has a slight flame to it as well, padauk/maple neck and alder body. Custom-wound Bart P/J pickups and 18-volt Pope preamp, Hipshot hardware. The coolest thing about this bass is the 33" scale; you'll play like lightning without losing the feel of a longer scale bass! Gig bag.