Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Salas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't need another five, but for those considering a sub-$1k bass, this is worth a look at http://www.bassalone.com

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad: Good thing you posted :) I Ordered a Salas myself, I never played it, Never tried it but I ordered it for $1000 flat. Its a 4 stringer doh.. The guy I ordered from, which is John DiMaggio orders from Tim Salas, who makes the bass. John Dimaggio is a really nice and he explains everything. I like the service and If this bass is nice, I would definately buy it again :) The cool thing is that Salas, you can custom almost everything, everything from wood, woodfinishes, hardware, BODY, pickups etc. etc.. its really nice :) YOu should try it out

DM

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I have six 5 strings now, DM. Can't really justify a seventh one. I can't believe people still reccommend some of the basses they do when the alternatives are out there, like Salas, Bone, Hanewinckel, Pulcinella, Karl Hoyt, etc. For the price of a Walnut Carvin...

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Generally because people recommend what they know, and what is accessible, generally. Im sure if they owned one and could vouch for it, theyd suggest it. But those are more rare, so they might be custom, but sound horrible or feel horrible, etc etc. So thats why! :p :D

And Brad, why not just get a 6 string then! You dont have one of those anymore!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I've heard soo many great things about BONE basses.. but they don't have them anywhere... (right MegaAngus? :)) Anyways, the body looks SEXY!!! not as sexy as a Fender Jazz, but Im saying it looks really sweeet~~~ and they are really cheap for what they are.. ($1400 area)... see them at BassAlone.com :)

DM

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    M-A, I don't have a six mainly because I don't think I'd use it.

This 5 is less than $900. Usually with custom as long as you don't request something major AND weird(meaning hard to sell to anyone else but you:)) there's an approval period.

If I had to start over I'd look at the basses I mentioned before first, along with Lakland Classics, Peavey Cirrus for fretless and a small group of custom but affordable basses. They're out there.

If I bought a new Carvin for $1200 and then found out I could have bought this bass and a B-100R for about the same price I'd have some serious buyers remorse;) Not that anyone shouldn't buy a Carvin, just be aware that there are more options out there than most people think and they all don't cost an arm and a leg.