Sale Basses on Bass Northwest ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 16, 2001.

1. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Has anyone ever made some experiences with it ? Home fast do they sell the instruments ?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    It depends on what you are selling. If it is a popular could go quite fast. However....once it IS sold....there is a 30 day waiting period to receive your money. That is because BNW has a 30 day approval period and they have to be sure that the item is not returned, BEFORE they pay YOU.
    Oh....also....their commission is 25% of the sale price.
  3. Good Lord, with that kind of commission I think it'd be better to sell it yourself, if its a demand insturment
  4. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've done quite a bit of business with Bass NW. I've traded, bought, and sold on consignment.

A couple corrections: they don't have a 30-day approval period, it's either 48 or 72 hours (don't remember, but it IS one of those). They do pay once a month because that's when they pay their accounts payable. I've sold consignment items at LA Bass Exchange, and it's the same deal. In fact, almost every other bass boutique I've dealt with does it the same way. Also, you pay to ship it there.

The commission varies depending on the price of the instrument they're selling for you. I've had them buy basses from me outright (rather than selling them on consignment for me) when they know the item would go quickly. OTOH, I had a beautiful Modulus Q5 on consignment that sat around for a couple months. Ack!

I've found it much easier and profitable, however, to sell them myself using either or harmony central. I've bought and sold many basses, cabs, and preamps using both, and have had nothing but great experiences.

If you're considering the consignment route, there is IMHO no finer way to go than Bass NW. They take and post good pictures, good write ups, and they do it religiously at least once a week. While I don't think the Bunnybass site gets as much traffic, they're also a great bunch of folks worth considering (Jon takes such great pictures it makes you want to buy your own bass!).

If you can take the loss and don't want the hassle, Bass NW is great and can be VERY quick. Bunnybass might be a little slower, but I think you can negotiate commission AND they'll really showcase your bass.

Good luck no matter which way you chose!
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, 25% normally, 20% if you buy something. My Tobias Growler sold in about 6-7 days.

If you plan on buying something, i can run down there and check it out for you. Im doing down there in a day or two, so it'd be no now, they know me by name there! :D