1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sale Related: Where to find shipping boxes?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by GaryLC, Jul 18, 2007.

1. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Hi,

I'm getting ready to sell 5 or 6 of my basses, and need to find some boxes. I used to pick them up from the local music store, but they do a lot of internet sales and hold onto them now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
  3. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    +1 on that.... I did a search.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-332028.html
    It's the slowest time of the year also, and the 2 stores that are near me, have no boxes. No sales to speak of, is what they said. UPS stores sell them, 10.00 and 18.00 for the size boxes we need for an average bass case. Uline has them but you can't just buy a couple of them. It's a pain in the :meh:

4. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Great Scott Bob!........ That looks like the perfect box.

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    hit the dumpsters behind your local Guitar Center at about 4pm (unless they crush their boxes)....that's where I always get mine.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There's no GC within 100 miles of here...:meh:

...so I go to the local shipping point (they ship UPS, FedEx, DHS, USPS, and they custom pack shipments). For $15 they packed a G&L Tribute I traded to another TBer on the west coast. He said in his feedback that it was "superbly packed."

They have also, in the past, shipped a tube amp back to the manufacturer for service, and it made the round trip to California and back without a scratch or bumped tube.

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Bicycle Stores !!

8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    How much is freight on those? I've ordered plenty of boxes from them. The prices are great but sometimes with the bigger items the shipping charges are outrageous.

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    You just have to buy 5 or 6 basses online, and reuse the boxes. Simple, really.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've used GC, other music shops, bicycle shops AND appliance stores. Appliance stores have the thickest boxes of em all. Just have a good ultility knife with a new blade, lots of tape and you are set!

11. Send your basses to Quadzilla to pack, he could probably do it in his sleep by now :p

:bag:

12. I live 4 blocks from a bicycle store. I get boxes from there.

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Very true! ;)

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI

15. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Thanks, everyone, for all the quick responses! I'm going to order some from uline, great suggestion, Mr. Westbrook!!

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those Uline boxes always up coming up as 70lb billed with UPS for me. They're right at the limit and its a negotiation every time, they also require a huge amount of packing material around your case.

So beware.

17. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    instead of dumpster diving at GC, just go in and ask them. i work at one and we're willing to give u a box, no problem.

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just ordered boxes from uline.com.

Shipping was $20. :(

19. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I started hoarding them in my basement. My wife is really happy about that :)

20. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Same idea, but I use the attic.

Lotta good suggestions so far. I tend to dumpster dive for boxes. Bicycle stores are good, after hours at the GC or Mom and Pop stores. Also Best Buy and other big department stores (bikes, bedframes, LCD TVs....) I used to be a shipping mgr. Sometimes you gotta improvise, as long as it's solid (would ship it to your mother-in-law) and insured.