1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Salem, Oregon area teachers?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by davidf, Feb 26, 2008.

1. davidf

davidf

Jun 26, 2006
    Corvallis, OR
    Hey all,
    Is anyone aware of any good teachers in the Salem, Oregon area. I am an electric bassist that is moving over to upright and want/need some significant guidance and instruction. I would like to take lessons from someone who is also into jazz (as opposed to strictly classical).

2. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I you don't have any luck in Salem, David Friesen is in Portland. I studied with him for a couple of years and I can highly recommend him as a teacher.
    Good Luck,
    John

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Phil Baker has solid classical training as well as being a great all around musician. He's in Portland. I drive 3 1/2 hours to study with him. Going from Salem seems like a trip around the block to me.

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Kevin Dietz in Portland is solid.

Aj

5. davidf

davidf

Jun 26, 2006
    Corvallis, OR
    Thanks,
    I know of David Friesen. Not sure he would take a student at my level though i.e. rank beginner on the upright.

6. davidf

davidf

Jun 26, 2006
    Corvallis, OR
    Does Phil take beginning students?

7. davidf

davidf

Jun 26, 2006
    Corvallis, OR
    Same question regarding Kevin Dietz and that is does he take students who are just starting to play double bass?

8. davidf

davidf

Jun 26, 2006
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm actually in Corvallis and was hoping not to have to drive to Portland. With a town the size of Salem, I figured there must be a couple of decent instructors but maybe not.

9. I studied with kevin as a late beginner to the instrument. He's got great technique and is a great player. Get in touch with him through www.kevindeitz.com

With some of the other people listed like phil baker, you have to realize he's doing the pink martini thing a lot and out of town a lot, so there will be some times when lessons won't be as frequent. Same thing with Friesen but you'd do well to study from any of them, and also Dave Captein, Ed Bennet, Dan Schulte, and Glen Moore. This area has a lot of bass talent you just have to drive a little north probably.

10. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Friesen has no problem working with players who are new to upright. I was playing slab when I started with him and he was very supportive, when I decided to get back into upright he had a lot of advice to make the transition easy.
    John

11. I've worked with Dan Schulte and Glenn Moore. Both are excellent but I would say Dan is better for a starting player. And Dan is less expensive than Glenn. Both are great people. Glenn is a great player, dedicated to practicing and playing. Dan is pretty hard core on fundamentals (you have to be hitting the right notes at the right time) and pretty serious about practice.

12. WendellD

WendellD

Jun 15, 2005
    Beaverton, OR
    Dan Presley in Portland is a great guy, great teacher, great player, takes beginnig students, adult and youth.

13. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    you could head the other direction and look up Tyler Abbott in Eugene