1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sales jobs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lowner, May 11, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I had an interview yesterday for a company that sells Rainbow vacuum cleaners. It is not door to door and no cold calling. Leads are generated for generated for you and you are not charged anything for them. Anyone ever sold a rainbow or known anyone who has been involved with the company. Its paid base plus commission which is something I like about the position as opposed to commission only. the only thing is the man interviewer asked me what kind of car i drive. Its a Subaru Impreeza sedan. I imagine that you needs a bigger car to haul the Rainbow around in. But can a company not hire you becasue your car is too small? Is that illegal?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What exactly does it mean that "leads are generated for you"??? Does that mean that the names and contact info are chucked out by their computer at random, printed out, then handed to you?

Frankly, with present day culture, if you need a vacuum, you take quick jaunt to your local department store, (Walmart, etc.) and buy one. If you need one, you don't wait around until someone calls you. And with the current economy, you don't "upgrade" an OK-working vacuum with one that sucks better.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, and no.

When I worked in drywall, one of the requirements for employment was that the person needed a pick-up truck.

-Mike

4. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Leads come from people who express interest in having someone come to their home and demonstrate this vacuum. Nothing is random. Like I already said no cold calling involved. Also this is a vacuum that is not like something sold at Walmart it is both an air purifier and vacuum unlike any sold at Walmart. it uses not filters or bags just ordinary water. They have been around for 70 years.

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My guitar player took that job right out of college.
    I think he sold one before he moved on.

If you are interested in a real sales job, then look towards
    the industrial and commercial sectors. Retail sales of
    'one time' buys to consumers are the dregs of the sales
    field, right there with cars.

Foodstuffs, industrial supplies, chemicals, drugs and those
    kinds of products have repeat order cycles where building
    a good reputation as a professional salesperson pays off
    for you with repeat business. That's where the real money is.

Rainbow is chump change. Sell one to everyone you know
    and you are done. And they know it.

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I took a job with one of Rainbow's competitors.

I did this for all of two days.

Filter Queen I think.

It wasn't a vaccuumyes it was It was an Air Purifier.

If you could find yourself enjoying doing this and be good at it and find a market. You might make some money.

But.

These things are very expensive. Good luck selling them to anyone. No one needs a vacuum that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars. Also, you can't really show off a vacuum. Meaning, no one wants an expensive vacuum.

Also, be aware that you are going to be going into peoples dirty homes and stirring up all kinds of dust. I felt terrible after the first day.

Finally, be aware that you are most likely going to be RESPONSIBLE for what products you are demoing. Meaning, if something happens to it, it's coming out of your pocket.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'll try the soused hog's face. Can I have it extra crispy?
    :p :ninja:

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

It's a garbage job that most people stick with for about two weeks.
    The only one's making any money are those UP in the pyramid.
    Don't waste your time.

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1

Sounds a lot like Cutco and Kirby combined. ;)

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you absolutely know you want to get into sales, selling something tough to sell, like Xerox copiers is going to get you much further. There are tons of sales jobs that have all kinds of room to makes tons of commission, if you can PROVE you've been highly successful in something like selling xerox machines.

The reason for this is that everyone knows that pounding the pavement selling something every business already has and doesn't want to spend another dime on...if you can sell under those conditions, where there are xerox sales people on every street corner, you're basically a proven talent.

Vacuum cleaners...that'll turn you off in a moment. You'll hate it quicker than you think.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When I was young(er) and naive(er), I went to one of the group interviews for Cutco. I walked out halfway through!

12. I did one of those about a week ago. I felt dirty just being there. It's like walking into the tangible form of the spam mail you get for enlarging your penis.

That being said, I would like to come back dressed as a redneck and see if they'll still hire me after being a complete jerk.