Sales of Precision vs. Jazz basses: Which sells more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdoc11, Jul 21, 2021.

1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Just idle curiosity here. I know Fender doesn't release sales figures, but I'm wondering which of the big two bass models Fender sells, the Precision versus the Jazz (in all their various forms) sells more for Fender.

And has that changed over the years?

I honestly have no idea which sells more. Anyone who's spent much time in music retail (or anyone else!): any insights here?

Thanks!

C Stone, Peter Torning and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I always see more Jazz Basses for sale and on display in music stores, new & used. It may mean that P Basses are bought more often and retained by their owners. Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

3. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    My gut says P. With tort and flats. :bag: But seriously, P.
    I'll see myself out.

Matt Dean, tindrum, TrevorG and 4 others like this.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I see far more J basses in players hands in this area, but it may be a Motown thing (and yes I know Jamerson and Babbit played P basses) but the J bass seems to be the local flavor among the R & B and classic rock thing which is popular around these parts. The Country players in Nashville seem to like P basses though so it my be a regional thing. My take is the P is bit more limited but what it does it does really well. See lots of Sting Rays around here too!

tindrum likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Why not email or contact FMIC for the answer ?
    Maybe they has the record.....

LeFunk Machine likes this.
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I have jazz basses that are not for sale.
    '78
    IMG_20180214_151859.jpg
    and a'08

IMG_20180214_153838.jpg

What was the question, please?

7. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I believe that it is P basses.

Huw Phillips likes this.
  8. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Fender doesn't generally reveal their sales figures.

rockdoc11 likes this.
  9. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    The Fender P bass is the best selling bass in the world. The Fender Jazz bass is said to be the 2nd most sold bass worldwide but I do not have info on the ratio

jamro217, Bajo Clarkko and rockdoc11 like this.
  10. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    FWIW……

I have 3 Jazz Basses ( 2 Fender, 1 Warmoth) They are strung with Round Wound strings.
    3 Precision Basses (1 Fender, 1 Squier, 1 Squier Fretless) They are strung with Flats.

None are for sale as they are all ‘Keepers’.
    I play Classic Rock and Blues, so they all have their place.

(My Music Man StingRays are fodder for another thread.)

11. It's a Jazz Bass World, what with the various Fenders and all the clones from mild to wild.

It's see-sawed over the years. In the late 70's, early 80's, Precisions ruled and we could hardly give away Jazz Basses. A lot of this is fashion . . . . .

gg22, drumvsbass and james condino like this.
  12. I tried to Google the answer ... no luck. :thumbsdown:

13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'm gonna say P. Because Squier Affinity is 200 bucks, and everyone's first bass (in the last 25 years) is a pj bass.

Standalone likes this.
  14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Motown is, was, and forever will be, P-town.

Kukulkan61 and Lowbrow like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have to think it goes in cycles, but I'd think P's would be the most popular since they're generally cheaper than J's.

jamro217, Kukulkan61 and StevieMac like this.
  16. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    I think it's the Jazz. Most of beginners to intermediate players prefer Jazz or PJ over P.

17. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    10-years ago it would've been J-basses outsold P-basses and now it's P's over J's. ... Before Jaco hit, in 75/76, it was P-basses with flats, over J's and that was 45-years ago. ... J's had a real good run. ... Same with Roundwounds. ... For over 35-years it was J-basses with Rounds now it's P-basses with flats. ... It'll change back in about 30-years.

fhm555 likes this.
  18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    50's-70's it was all about the P bass, from the 80's to today the Jazz seems more prevelent. I will say in the past decade the Precision has made a strong comeback .

droo46 and Hammerfield like this.
  19. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    I imported my Squier Jazz to Vietnam from Thomann about 7 years back, but now Fender have a dealer here Thomann and other sellers are not permitted to se any fender gear here. Up until this year the Vietnamese dealer that has chains throughout the country had no P basses in the range and a handful of both Fender and Squire Jazz Basses. This year they have about 9 Fender Jazz and 2 Precision, but still no Squire Precisions, 10 Squier Js, and 2PJs. That's models, not counting colours. Counting colours and the proportion of Js gets even bigger.

Swee Lee a Singapore company owned by the owner that has 50% of Rolling Stone and saved Cakewalk have struck a deal with Fender this year. They have a good range, but one branch in HCMC, the rest in other South East Asian countries and they stock
    Jazz 50
    Precision 25
    PJ 1

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    logdrum and LeFunk Machine like this.
  20. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have no clue, but at the 3-4 open jams I attend in a typical week, I figure that the ratio if what I see is about 4 or 5 to 1 Jazz over Precision

Basslice likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021