Sales people can be so cruel sometimes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jun 1, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I was at Sam Ash the other day finally picking up my SWR LA-15 and just browsing the small bass section. The only available amp (they only have one plugged in out of all the displayed!) was being used by a customer and a representative.

The customer was really asking for a P-bass but I kinda had this feeling he wasn't exactly a gear-head... the store rep must've known too because the more the customer insisted on a P-bass the more the rep tried to shove a different bass down his throat (no, not literally), most likely a more expensive bass. The rep kept saying "Why would you want a cheap P-bass when you can have this. This ones alot better. If you want a P-bass you'll be going for the American one and that costs alot more. You can get a cheap Mexican brand but it won't sound at all good."

To make matters worst the customer had his mom with him buying into everything the store rep said. I felt sorry for the guy... Anyone else seen this happen at a guitar store?

Moral of the story, avoid store reps like the plague, and try to keep a distance from your mom (if you still shop with her). :D
  2. i want every person that doesnt have a clue to read this post before venturing off into the dark world of guitar stores
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Yea, unfortunately there aren’t to many music shops that actually teach as much as sell merchandise to customer. Stores are what you walk into today not music shops, which are peddling gear from whatever manufacture they could pick up in their area that another store didn’t already have. The sells people usually no jack sh!! about gear and what the customer really needs nor do they ever ask. This is very unfortunate because many times new players or even the road worrier needs help with gear related questions and the day of knowledgeable sells people are gone. I try to be the farthest from the corporate manufacture peddler and focus on the customer finding out exactly what he or she is having problems with before ever trying to sell merchandise. I believe that's the key to helping people is teaching, which doesn’t always pay bills, but they become customers for life!

Sorry you experienced that, but unfortunately that's they way stores are now....... good for me :)
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You shoulda stepped in and filled the player and his mom in with our bass expertese :D

Don't GC employees get commsission for what they sell, like a car dealership does? That would certainly explain trying to sell the more expensive stuff :meh:
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I know, I SHOULD have stepped in and said, "Give the guy his damn P-bass." I kind of feel guilty...

Don't get me wrong, not ALL sales personal are like that... just about 99/100th of 'em. :D

P.s. I was suppose to get a free acoustic guitar with my amp (free for anything over $199). We even reserved it along with the amp but guess what? When we picked up my stuff the guy or store ran out of the free acoustic guitars... shouldn't have mattered since we reserved OUR free acoustic! To make up for it he gave us a free electric Carlo Robelli guitar... I said "Whatever, just give me it." ...too bad I can obviously tell this was their show model because the selector switch's cover has been stolen and the input jack wasn't even soldered anymore! I'm willing to keep the guitar though, it looks semi-okay and to me, its fine once I can get it fixed. (I haven't told my mom about the un-soldered input jack, she'll most likely have a fit and demand we take it back to the store... I'm too lazy. :p)