Salsa on ns design

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by RRWesner, Aug 7, 2020.

1. RRWesner

RRWesner

Jan 10, 2010
    I’ve been looking through the forum for more info about this topic but have only been able to find bits here and there. There is a guy on YouTube who I will try to find again who nails it but the video is difficult to tell what he is using and how much of the sound is him and what is the original recording.

Has anyone been able to get a good salsa baby bass tone out of their ns design bass?

I’m considering buying an NS design bass but would like some feedback on this.

If so what is your setup?

I have been thinking that using dampened orchestral strings, a foam mute and judicious EQ would get you most the way there but I’m curious what everyone else has found?

Has anyone had any luck blending the magnetic pickup with the piezo to mimic the pickup on the original ampeg basses?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Zbysek likes this.
  3. RRWesner

RRWesner

Jan 10, 2010
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I had one of the US series 6-strings. It sounded like a fretless bass guitar with a super strong fundamental. It had very long sustain and almost no thump. I used the original strings designed for the bass. I thought is sounded incredible but it had it's own unique voice.

If you want the sound of baby bass, get a baby bass. There are modern versions offered.

5. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I hit up Nordstrand Audio years ago about that idea when they put out the Nordymute, and was told that the variable string spacing on DB made it a no go. Nice.
    Carey used to work for Steve Azola, and it looks like they brought him in to help with it, according to some photos on Carey's Instagram page. So, yes, I think it is the modern version of the Mambo Mute.
    I would guess that this is the key to getting any EUB to sound more thumpy like a BB if it works.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Zbysek likes this.
  6. whatsgood

whatsgood

Sep 1, 2019
    Can’t say much about the the mute, but I will say, the original name strings that come with the bass do sound More giant fretless like. The ns traditionals are basically hellicore orchestrals and sound much more acoustic and will give a lot more thump with the right settings and eq. Still a LOT of sustain, so some additional muting would be needed to get a decent salsa sound. Still not a baby bass-but nothing else is afaik.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022