Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SALSA! Reccommend me some grovoy salsa

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Feb 14, 2003.

1. I did a search and didnt find anything, I notice you guys dont really talk about salsa too much but i've just recently gotten into it so please reccommend me good stuff.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

We have had some lengthy discussions on salsa and merengue and also latin jazz. I'm not sure what keyword would help your search.

When I think salsa, I think Tito Puente and Tito Puente, Jr., Ruben Blades, Cachao, Celia Cruz, Los Van Van, Grupo Niche, Luis Enrique, Marc Anthony (not Marco Antonio), Oscar de Leon, La India, Nestor Sanches, Willie Colon.

There are many, many more. The names above are all well established and some are legends of salsa. Some younger ones are more "pop"salsa oriented. Marc Anthony would be one of those. Others are old-time legends but still winning Grammies. Celia Cruz would be in that category. She is well into her seventies or older, but won a Grammy last year for a kind of rap-salsa song she recorded. Man, I hope I am that cool when I am her age. Some of the names above even fit in a salsa/latin jazz category...Tito Punete would be one. Oscar de Leon has had a highly sucessful salsa orchestra for year and years.

3. "Salsa" is one of those labels that is used very loosely and doesn't define any specific style of music (other than to suggest that it is "Latin"). Salsa, to me, is a type of dance.

I would suggest that you start by immersing yourself in the music of Tito Puente (the king of "salsa"). He's got enough material out there to keep you busy for a while. Pete Escovedo has some good recordings too... try "E Street". If you find that you like this stuff, check out some of the cats that have been mentioned in the "Latin Jazz" threads in the forums (a search will yield some results).

(Dang! Jo always beats me to the punch.)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

El Gran Hoser Caliente brings up a good point and an important one...that slasa is a loose term that covers many styles of music. SeaPickle (I love that name) what type of salsa have you been listening to? Can you name any of the artists you currently like? That would give me a better idea of what to recommend.

Too, if you like salsa, have you checked out merengue? It is maybe somehwat more popular than salsa now. I prefer salsa myself, but as long as you are exploring "Latin" music, you might want to listen to some merengue too. Check Olga Tanon and Luis Guerra.