Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SALVAGE VENDORS FOR UPS TRASHED AMPS INQUIRY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by luknfur, Aug 26, 2005.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Out of curiosity. UPS has a couple salvage vendors they use for items they've trashed (which I'd bet annually exceeds the GNP of all but a handful of countries). Has anybody ran down this path by chance?

They trashed a tube amp that I'd like to recover if it's a feasible endeavor. These items pass to the vendors once UPS takes credit for the abuse with no opportunity to intervene.

Probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than recovering the amp but hey, one never know do one.

Or does anybody know a blog that may produce a fruitful lead?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Nope, seperate casualty apparently.

3. ah right, i just remember someone having said thier TE had fallen victim to UPS

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The way I feel at the moment, I'd speculate that may have been multiple posts by different members - ie. a recurrent theme.

==============================
    This too shall pass - but it sure pisses me off right now!

5. ah right, either way, yeah its annoying as hell :\

6. That would be me, and trust me... I am first in line for that Hexa if UPS ever manage to locate it again! I'm still calling them once a month. :D

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

My guess is, if they can't locate it, it was trashed, didn't pass go, and went straight to jail.

I've got a cousin that drove for UPS for years and I haven't called him yet (have to get him early before ..........mornings are his best time), but I get the definite impression that once something goes to claims at UPS, they have internal controls so only a limited number of employees know it's whereabouts. So it drops from the system for everybody else. It could be they just don't tell the public as much but I've talked to enough UPS emplyees in the last couple of weeks to have gotten a feel for information being withheld as opposed to being clueless.

I speculate that because the item I recieved before the amp was also damaged. It was one item but was shipped in 3 seperate boxes for assembly, only one of which was damaged. Since one part was of no use without the others, they were all picked up for damage claims. The two undamaged boxes could be tracked back to the sender but the one that was damaged nobody seemed to know where it was.

I do know they don't like to give out info about claims items. I found out about the vendor thing from another cousin and UPS did confirm that when I asked, but that's all they did.

That is to say if they never claimed to have delivered it, unless I guess they somehow know they delivered it to the wrong address and didn't say as much.