1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sam Ash beat forums@musiciansfriend.com pricing

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by fenderhutz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I sent an email yesterday for an item I was going to buy but they were out of stock. I called Sam Ash and advised the price I got and they said they had the item in stock and I got it 5 bucks cheaper with free upgraded shipping.

Seriously, call Sam Ash if you find a good price and they will beat it (or try their best to match it). I got roughly 25% off the item I bought.

I know many including myself love the forums@musiciansfriend.com crazy low pricing, but Sam Ash beat it.

Just a public service hot deals announcement for those looking to spread your dollar around.

2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Good stuff. I did not have much joy from emailing MF so I declined their offer. The item was discontinued soon after so I ended up paying a bit more. Probably should have made the rounds including Sam Ash.

Sweetwater gets a lot of love here, though I hate their phone calls. And don't forget Zzounds.

3. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    How does that work?

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Find an item on the Musicians Friend site, email them and say you are from Talkbass. They respond with a one time price. Their only request is to not post in public (on here) what you paid because the deals aren't always the same.

Sam Ash, I just called them and said what MF quoted me (item was out of stock) and Sam Ash beat it. Though Sam Ash doesn't always beat the MF price.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Gonna try this with a 4003.

6. Idiot Savon

Idiot Savon Tall, Dark, Handsome, etc., etc. Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Essex, CT
    Good luck. It'd be like WINNING a 4003, and who doesn't want that?

7. airborne_jeff

airborne_jeff

Jan 8, 2013
    Land O Lakes, FL
    75% of all statistics are completely made up
    I am a huge SamAsh follower at this point. I just bought an Ibanez SRA555 on clearance from them. Awesome price ($200 under the same list price as everyone else) and great in store service. Also, they have an email club with additional discounts.

8. Anthony32

Anthony32

Apr 23, 2013
    Australia
    Excellent items. I did not have much joy from mailing MF so I dropped their provide. The product was stopped soon after so I finished up spending a bit more.

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    For an alternative point of view - sometimes there's more than price...

When I finally decided to pull the trigger on my Synapse I shopped around seriously and Sam Ash via Amazon was better (IIRC $50) than MF - both with free shipping - Ash from FL.

The trouble starts when the tracking report shows "Delivery attempted - signature required" despite the fact that I've had a signature release on file with FedEx for years. Called them - "shipper requirement." (None of this was disclosed on the item Terms and Conditions" _before_ purchase..._)

"I'll pick it up at the depot" says I, familiar with that process. "Can't do that" says they.
    Their deal with Ash _requires_ them to attempt delivery 3 times and _then_ hold it at the depot. But I'm looking around the Internet forums like crazy trying to get the scoop on Sam Ash shipping and discover several people who report Ash's deal with FedEx is that anything 'undeliverable' is to be returned _immediately_.

So I'm frantically and furiously emailing Sam Ash Customer Service and eventually (this takes another of the 3 days...) they agree to have FedEx re-route it to a FedEx retail (Kinkos) storefront. _Not_ the one closest to my house, I think they were trying to make me work for it, but unbeknownst to them, it was actually on my way home from work so they did me a favor...

So there's your cautionary tale - they have been know to ship stuff Signature Required without mentioning it to you first and if you work for a living and won't be home, it can be quite the adventure chasing your stuff down.

If you're purchasing direct (this was my first encounter with Sam Ash, never heard of them before...) you will want to nail down all the shipping and delivery requirements FIRST. I hate surprises like that.

They eventually made it work but it took 3 days and a lot of unnecessary stress. As a result, Ash has moved to my 'B' list, occasional price advantage notwithstanding.

YMMV.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sam Ash is a great store, they have always been very good to me over the years.

11. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm happy for you and their retail stores may be great.
    It's their shipping policies one has to watch for, IME...

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Actually, I'm seeing so many beefs about the recent 4003s that I'll probably just pass. I don't need the grief of going through a couple of exchanges to get a decent bass. RIC really seems to ship anything these days. :(

13. While this is a HUGE PITA you have to look at it from the other end. What if the shipment was damaged and left on your doorstep? What if its stolen off of your doorstep? Whose going to absorb those sorts of things? While YES I have experienced what your saying and the stress involved I think this is the only way they can do it and stay competitive.

14. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Well, no, it's not, as I mentioned.

First, if that's their shipping policy, it should be disclosed in their ad terms and not come as a surprise ONLY AFTER the first 'failed' delivery.

Had they done that, I'd have known shipping was going to be an issue and I could have been proactive in working out an arrangement FIRST.

But what MOST places with high-value shipments do is allow the package to be picked up at the FedEx (in this case) or UPS depot. It's usually no big deal. They make the delivery attempt, it goes back to the depot, I call and have it held, I go pick it up.

If I'd known about their policy originally, this is exactly the arrangement I would have negotiated: hold it at the depot, I'll pick it up. Safe and Secure.

Their existing policy (*must* attempt 3 deliveries (waste of time and fuel all around...) and then ship back) is just madness for anyone with a job.

I get the liability thing even though in 10 years _nothing_ has ever gone missing from my house.

'Hold at Depot' is the standard approach, and they refused to even consider it.

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Sam Ash IMO is a good store to deal with. In Cherry Hill New Jersey there is a GC just steps away from the Sam Ash and I can tell you from personal experience that they will beat a competitors price, even if you have to walk back and forth between stores several times :eyebrow:

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you are really interested, there are a few places that you can buy from without worry of getting a dud...and they happen to be cheaper than most of the used prices you'll see...

Wildwood Guitars and Pick of the Ricks. POTR is great, I got mine from them.