Sam Ash/Carlo Robelli Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Anyone played/heard any of the Carlo Robelli line of basses that Sam Ash sells? I know they're fairly cheap in price but before I grab one I wondered if anyone has first hand knowledge about them.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've worked at Sam Ash & have seen alot of the CR basses. If you really wanna buy one, MAKE SURE THE TRUSS ROD WORKS!!!!! if it does, make sure before the 30 day return period is over you make sure the neck is not funky. While I was there their were ALOT with bad necks. Their was a neck thru bass with multi laminated woods that looked really nice but we stripped alot of them & threw them out.

The ones that were good were ok but, when I was there, the good ones were few & far between.
  3. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I would not take one if it was free! They are nice looking basses, but that is as far as it goes. They are really cheaply made. About a year ago I was in Sam Ash's Huntington (NY) store and tried one out. One of the 5 strings they had there looked great except for the headstock that snapped off the neck! Yep, snapped off. It must have just happened because the sales people were still in shock. It was a fairly clean break too. The intact ones I saw had a scary looking neck construction. The headstock is glued onto the neck, it is not one piece from top to bottom.

Now to be fair to Carlo Robelli stuff, I did have for a short time a 4 string acoustic CR. It actually was not a bad bass. I would recommend the acoustic ones over the electric CR's.
  4. hey Razor, I saw that too with the Carlo Robelli, the Huntington Sam Ash is the one I go to. That had to be both very unexpecting and the most pathetic thing I have ever seen happen to a bass.

I had been thinking of buying a Carlo Robelli bass for the bang for buck ratio, so I could have one I'm not afraid of getting banged up at a show, but after seeing that, I figured that'd suck to happen at a show.,
  5. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I'd rather get a Ibanez soundgear than a CR, they look nice but IMHO i rather quality than looks;)
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Excellent points all of them...
    I was looking at the A/E 4 string models around 250 bucks...I think I'll pass on the CR's and for the money check out the Essex line. I just want a decent A/E to play around with and given how much I have enjoyed the Essex P clone I recently got from Rondo Music, that probably sounds like a better way to go.
    Again, thanks for the replies, they've helped me make a better decision yet again!
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i visit sam a$$ i mean ash (sorry)all the time(only to see if any used fenders came in,REALLY) and i have played a few and was not impressed,there are MANY other basses in that price range made alot better, i must admit i played a few frettless ones and they were decent ,i cannot tell you how they hold upin the long run, listen to NINO i believe he used to work there(correct?) if you really want one,
    shop around for a good one(good luck finding one)
    have fun:rolleyes:
  8. ALL basses and guitars with an angled headstock have it glued on. Glued joints are SUPPOSED to be even more solid than the wood itself!
  9. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Dude, that is very much NOT true. All my basses have angled headstocks and none of them are glued. (2 Carvins, Alembic and a Dean)

I have only seen the glued on headstocks on cheaper instruments like the CR and some no name brands.
  10. Like Rick Turner?
  11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    rondos are way!!! better and have better bang for the buck.

or dillion

12. Darn! I didn't know there were necks built that way. I did a Google search and opinions seem to differ as to which one is best. Here's an interesting site:

13. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    The main reason for the glued on headstocks as I was told by some guitar builders is cost. When you carve and shape a neck with a angled headstock, the neck blank needs to be much thicker to compensate for the headstock, thus more wood is wasted after the neck is shaped. With glued on headstocks, the neck blanks are much thinner so less wood is wasted = lower cost.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Glued in headstocks SUCK THE ASS!!!! My brother has a really nice late-80s USA Washburn USA guitar and the neck snapped at the glue joint, obliterating the fingerboard halfway down the first fret. It's toast!

My angled back headstock basses all have the headstock integrated in the neck wood, even my cheap Dean Edge 5!
    Exactly right. I think it's less of a problem with laminate necks like my Dean than single slab necks.
  15. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    The "glued on" headstock is also known as a scarf joint, or luthier's joint. When done properly it is just as strong as any other method of making the neck/headstock. Several boutique builders use scarf joint, or have in the past.
  16. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    My bass teacher highly recommended getting the Carlo Robelli fretless for $249. I want a fretless for cheap, and this seems to be my best bet. Does anybody else have experience with these things? What's my best bet when it comes to relatively cheap fretless basses? (It doesn't have to be as low as 249. I was thinking more like 400 or 500).
  17. Go to
    Go to basses - fretless

You'll see a few decent ones there at low prices.

The Yamaha BBN4F has got to be the best fretless deal of the year there. $249! I have the fretted 5 model and it is a super value. It's equivalent to MIM Fender in quality, but, the pickups are super growly, and are dead quiet when both of them are on full.

I just bought an Ibanez EDA905F, but had to send it back because it was damaged. This is a little out of your price range at $669, but, for the short time I played it, it sounded great. I can't wait to get the return.

I would definitely jump on that Yamaha.

Good luck.