1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sam Ash doesn't do layaway on used gear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmaestro, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    My vent:

So, I've been feening for a Lakland 55-01 in Cherry Sunburst for a little while now. Saw one on the Guitar Center used site for $499 last month, but it got away. So, I searched and searched, and eventually found one last Friday on Sam Ash's used site and for $449. I immediately called them to put it on layaway until I could get the rest of the money this week to pay it off. But to no avail, they wouldn't allow it. So, I asked if interests had been shown in it already and was told no. I also asked how long had it been there for and was told a month and a half. So, I called yesterday and was told it was still there. Got the funds today, called, only to be told that it sold two days ago! :-(

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Most places won't. Used gear is basically one-of-a-kind, so it is first with funds gets the gear.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Rules is rules.

Sucks, but most retailers won't hold inexpensive used stuff.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    And here is one reason Sam Ash isn't as good as Guitar Center.
    Visited both stores in Cherry Hill today.
    Sam Ash had a flawless Musicm Man SUB for $599 with some flatwounds on it. Plugged it in and gave it a go...very nice.
    I took it to the counter and told them I wanted to put it on layaway and they told me layaway was only good for new instruments. So I said: "I can put $100 down on the Squier Affinity bass but I can't put $200 down on the Music Man?"
    He said, "We can finance it."
    I just hung up the SUB and walked out.
    The bass had been hanging up for a month and I bet it'll be there next month, too.
    Way to lose a sale, Sam Ash!

5. Credit Cards solve this problem

southgabass likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Another "this store won't conform to exactly what I want, so screw them" thread...:rollno:

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Bull.
    It's a policy that they can change but don't want to. Sure, the policy comes from the top because of the old "people were putting merchandise on layaway and never picking it up...got to be a paperwork headache" line that other businesses claim for the reason they don't offer layaway.
    The simple truth is, I can go to plenty of other music stores and buy what I want using layaway.

You're right with the screw them, though.
    I'll spend my money at Guitar Center...they can't be beat.
    Not to mention, they override company policy all the time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017