1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sam Ash is asking $1600 for a Toby!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrashClint, Aug 29, 2008.

1. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    So a friend of mine went into Sam Ash in Raleigh, nc a couple weeks ago and he saw what he thought was a Tobias from across the room. He goes over to look at it and it has listed on the tag:

American Made Tobias
    Used $1600

He looks the bass over and it is not a Tobias but a Korean made Toby with the EMG looking pickups with Tobias embossed on them. He then looks at the back of the head stock and stamped in the wood is Made in Korea. He points this out to the manager and the manager tells him that it is not a Toby but a Tobias Signature that is made in the USA. My friend shows him the back of the headstock where it has stamped Made in Korea.

Two weeks later I am on the way home from the doctors, I hobbled into Sam Ash and sure enough there it is a Toby that is tagged as an American Tobias. The sales guy comes up and I tell him I am interested in an American Tobias. He pulls down the Toby and hands it too me. I look it over and I say, I want an American Tobias, he proceeds to tell me that this bass is American. I flip it over and ask since when did Korea become a territory of the U.S. He says, so are you interested in the bass or not? I just laughed and said no, I am looking for an American made Tobias.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    that, my friends, is a good definition of "Fraud".

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's funny! I actually own a Toby Deluxe (bolt on version) and it's a pretty nice bass but definitely not the American version by any means! Got mine back in 2000 for less than a 1/4 of this ones asking price!

4. The sad part is some kid is going to think he got a STEAL on that bass. :scowl:

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Is this even legal?

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Nope, it's called false advertising.

7. my local GC got screwed on this a few months ago. A guy took the MIK sticker off and traded it in as an American made pre-Gibson Tobias. A week later I was in there and one of the Assistant Managers asked me to look at the bass because he thought the guy that took it in screwed up, big-time and he thought it was probably a Toby pro. Sure enough it was. Had the tobias symbol T on the pickups - AFAIK all the Americans had Bartolinis, right??? Anyway, they did the right thing and sold it for about $400. About 1/3 of what they gave the guy on the trade-in. You should report this to their HQ and to your local prosecutor's office. This is outright fraud.

8. +1!

9. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Funny thing is, this didn't have the MIK sticker, it was stamped in the wood. I think if I was at a point where I was able to get around without assistance (still healing from getting hit on my motorcycle) I would try to get them on fraud. This is not the first time they have done things unethical. TBer SMPUGH went in to buy some DR Black Beauties, they were priced around $33 for the four string set. The guy scanned them and they rang up and $42, smpugh questioned that they are marked at $33, so the guy checked all the packs and they were all marked at $33. They called a manager over and he makes the statement that DR had a price increase and that he could let smpugh have the strings for $38. smpugh said that is fraud, left the store and went directly across the street to GC, they were out of the 4 string set so he bought a 5 strings set of the DR BB strings for $35.