Sam Ash okay for a setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JoelT, Jan 1, 2001.

1. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000

I bought an Ibanez SR-406 a few months ago and have decided it's finally time to have it set up (it buzzes) and probably get some new strings put on as well. There's a Sam Ash store a few minutes away, but do you think that's a decent place to get a setup done? My concern is that the people doing the setups might not be the best around.

Would I be better off trying to find another place? I'm in the western Philadelphia suburbs (King of Prussia)--anyone have a recommendation for a better place?

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Scam cAsh is a mass merchandiser, not a repair shop. The one by my house brings in a freelance tech once a week or so to set up their new instruments -- there's no one employed there who's qualified to do the work.

If you wanna buy a guitar cheap, you use a mass merchandiser. Sam Ash can handle that. If you wanna have work done, go to someone who does THAT for a living. Sam Ash ain't him.

3. i agree with eli, you want to find someone that does repairs and setup. you want to find someone you can trust because you will probally be using them again. you might try the phone book for a shop or try something like and remember if you take the first A out of sam ash you get SMASH
  4. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Thanks for the advice. I talked to someone at the place where I take lessons and I'll probably take it to him. I was a little hesitant to take it there at first (I'm not entirely sure why), but I'll give them a shot.

5. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I noticed your post and where you're located. I' m out your way in the Philly suburbs and have had a hard time finding someone to work on my bass. I am currently having a new bridge put on my Jazz Bass. I called most of the music stores in Northwest Phila. and Montgomery County, trying desperatley to avoid Sam Ash. It seems none of the music stores in this area work on electrics and all refered me to Sam Ash. OUCH

I tend to agree with everyones opinion of Sam Ash. After trying out a number of basses there I don't think they sell instruments in tune. Service is laughable.

Long and the short of it is:
    Zapf's Music on 5th St Phila. - Fred Cooper 215-924-8736
    Madonna's Music - Anthony Madonna - Not sure of number, he's in Norristown
    And everyone's favorite Sam Ash

Did you have a similar search I'm curious to know who you used?
  6. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Thanks for the leads, td1368. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have better luck, though. I haven't taken it in yet, but I think I'll use Troubadour Music Shop in Wayne. That's where I take lessons, and my instructor recommended them (not that he couldn't be biased, of course :)). I didn't do a search since I didn't think I'd be able to judge much over the phone. I figured everyone would tell me they could set it up.

I'll see how it goes. Since I'm just starting with bass, I'm not sure I'll be fully able to know what kind of job they did, but I guess I'll know if it plays better.