Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sam Ash wants to power us - I'd like your opinions.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Looks great!

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Looks cheezy!

33 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The manager of our local Sam Ash caught The Nerve! at a show the other day and approached us offering us an endorsement deal. As it stands he said Sam Ash will give us $3000 worth of stuff per year, and in return we'd have to post a "Powered by Sam Ash" banner on our website, and hang a banner behind us at every gig. The ony catch to this is that the $3000 can be used on "accessories" only. Things have been going well for us this year and we already have endorsement deals with Ernie Ball, and DiMarzio - so we're covered for strings, cords, and lots of other stuff. Since we didn't jump all over the guy with enthusiasm he seems even more interested in working with us and wants us to come negotiate something. We may be able to talk him into amps and stuff, in which case I'd jump all over this - we may be able to get substantial discounts - in which case we might jump all over this - and if "accesories" includes recording gear, monitors and stuff like that, we might also go for it.

My big question. Do you think a Powered by Sam Ash banner hanging behind a band would look cheezy and lame, or do you think it would look good and add credibility to the band.

I think the latter, Randy (my guitarist/singer) thinks the former. Curious what the consenus is. Ya know what - I think I gotta post a poll.

Must add that I AM a lifetime customer of Sam ASH AND I never had anything but good experiences purchasing from them. They were also borne in my hometown, and I purchased my first guitar in their first store.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, $3000 a year is nothing against beeing humiliated by a "Powered by Sam's Arse" banner ;)

3. i personally don;t think it is lame to have a powered by sam ash banner behind you guys is a bad thing. but i would want to try to make it so you guys could get at least amps as part of the $3,000. orwhat i would try to negotiate is like a 25% discount persay, on everything in the store exclude sale items probably but the bands entire savings cannot be over say $2000-3000 a year.

4. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I say go for it if you can use the $3K for real merchandise.

Maybe even get him to bump up the amount.

5. I think its great, if you can get $3000 cut off your expenses, I'd go for it even if they put smurfs on the banner.

Just make sure it covers stuff you need, I don't think you go through $3000 of cords/straps/strings.

Randy

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do it if they have their own guy to bring it, set it up, tear it down, and take it with him. How big is it? Is it $3000 each for the three of you, or just for the band?

Congrats on the endorsements, btw.
    :bassist:

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's nice to be asked :) I'd say it would look ok if you can get them to make a large THE NERVE banner with "powered by SA" in smaller letters, or maybe in smaller letters on a separate banner.

Also, you should explain to them your current endorsement deals and how you don't need accessories so it will only work if they come through with something useful. I dunno how you guys like dealing w/ the PA, but we're tired of having to set up and run ours. Maybe you could get them to take care of your pa needs? Also, don't be afraid to enter the negotiation with a figure greater than $3000 (or the equivalent deep % discount if that's what you want). You can always come back down to 3k.

8. I hate Sam Ass...

...but as soon as they offer 3k in gear I've been shopping there my whole life and I love them. :)

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Depends on how the contract is written and of course if the band wants to be associated with Sam Ash. That is the real question. 3 grand is squat in the big picture

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It would look odd if you only had one ad behind you from one company. If you had like 5 or more different companies advertising behind you, then you look like an even better band. But I guess you have to start with one.

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    looks cheesy, but I would do it. I wouldn't sell out my "art" group, but if it's just rockin, having a good time kind of band, go for it. I wouldn't accept it as is though, get a better deal.

12. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Go for it!

For enough cash, I'd put an Ed Roman sign behind me.

dcr

13. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Are you sure? :eyebrow:

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I'm just a 'Ho!

dcr

15. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, have you read his "rants"?!

It's extremely funny, and yet very idiotic. He says stuff like: "Flat top guitars always have tops made out of plywood, and they sound like dudu", and "Guitars where the pieces of wood aren't harmonically matched sounds like crap".

His own guitars must be perfect! :p

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I Agree 100%.

17. yo Joe, is the $3Kthat you have to spend LIST price or out the door price?

18. cheesy

and i used to work for ash...all deals are based off of list so you will get screwed.

19. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    It's list price at GC for something like this, probably same at sam ash. If it were just your website with a banner that would be one thing, but the live show? Hell no.

20. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you can get an unconditional $3000 worth of gear ($3k is $3k right?), and the live show banner isn't too overwhelming, I'd go for it...

...Advertising is the backbone of the U.S. economy! :D