Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SAM Kinison appreciation thread.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is a guy who is pretty much before my time but yet he still speaks to me. I know many of you TBers know who this guy is and this is a chance to show your appreciation for perhaps the best stand-up commedian of all time.

Ohh Ohhhhhhhhh!
    [​IMG]

It's a bloody shame how he died.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think his stand-ups rank among the most un-funny things I've ever seen.

I'll take Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, Richard Pryor, Jay Moore, Bill Hicks, or damn near anyone over him.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    HAHAHAHa right.........

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah uh, jay mohr...he's uh...awesome :scowl:

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Honestly, since this entire thread is based on opinion, feel free to slag or enjoy whoever. No skin off my nose.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I liked Sam Kinison, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was the best of all time.

I like George Carlin, Richard Prior, and Robin Williams much better, to name a few.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sam Kinison was very funny, if somewhat inconsistant throughout his career due to personal "demons".

Got the chance to meet him in the early 90s when his "Outlaws of Comedy" followed the group I was playing with (50s, 60s group "The Coasters") into the old Dunes (destroyed to make way for The Bellagio) showroom.

We were also playing in Laughlin Nevada and were going to see him on the day we heard he had been killed on the way to his gig there. He had recently "cleaned up" and it was a very sad situation.

8. Kinison was awesome. I miss his standup so much man, he was hilarious.
    It didn't even matter what he said, when he screamed like that I just started crackin up.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Agreed, being a former ordained minister probably gave him PLENTY of material to work with.

;)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He was a bizarre guy. He continued to preach in churches even while he was doing his off-color brand of comedy. Did anyone ever hear recordings of his preaching. It was crazy...he would start yelling just like the comedy act.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I watched some Biography on him the other day and it got me thinking. Definitly one of the most bizzare people in the comedy circle. His material was insane too. I understand why girls hate the guy.

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, Sam was one of the greats IMO!!! I saw some vid clips of his sermons, the tone and sound was no different than his comedy routine, just the words were different.

And I LOVE is version of Wild Thing.

13. Not my thing, now Eddie Murphy in the 80s.........that was funnny

14. Wow, I have to hear that. I imagine it must be some pretty crazy stuff.

Before my time, but definitely has some funny stuff.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I liked Sammy's act quite a bit; I remember falling to the floor on his "Jerry's Kids- gives us a cure or give us the cash" routine with the "kid" in the wheelchair. Great stuff. Although I personally found his religious based bits were too over the top for my taste.

Probably my all-time favorite comedian was Richard Pryor.

16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    His first album, Hotter Than Hell was a landmark in comedy for me. I have the DVD collection of both early and later routines and I am always more impressed with the early stand-up. In the end, he really got out there, especially the whole guy-in-a-wheelchair railing gainst Jerry Lewis and his telethon thing. He burned bright and fast.

17. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I love stand-up comedy and always keep an open mind. His appearance on HBO's Young Comedians show (with Rodney Dangerfield) and follow-up one hour HBO special are some of the funniest things I've ever seen.

"You see this? It's sand. You know what it's gonna be in 100 years? It's gonna be SAND! You live in the DESERT!"

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I love the bit where he would pick a guy out of the audience and ask for an ex-girlfriends phone number, and then call her live. So vulgar. I'm amazed he never got sued.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Of all comics I've seen, I think Kinison was the one who had the best rapport with his audience and the most fun onstage.

Kinda ironic that he died in an accident involving a drunk driver when he was so outspoken about it not being a big deal. It's Sorta creepy in a John Lennon/Happiness is a Warm Gun way...

My faves are Lewis Black, Bobby Slayton, Carlos Mencia and Dave Chapelle, before his meltdown...

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Mitch Hedberg - greatest ever. RIP.

Well, of course Bill Cosby was my godfather of comedy as a kid.

brad cook