Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sam Rivers Limp Bizkit Fans Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassPlayer101, Jul 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    Does anyone know what tuning Sam Rivers uses? I know he uses a 5 string Bass.

thanks
    BassPlayer101

PS IF YOU HATE LIMP BIZKIT DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU F*CKERS THAT LIMP BIZKIT SUX! IF YOU HATE THEM DON'T F*UCKING WHINE ABOUT IT TO ME!! YOU HAVE THE RIGHT LIKE AND DISLIKE THEM!!! I JUST DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT YOU HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    i saw him on a cover of a BP, they might say something about his tunings in that....

3. You gotta take a chill pill, man...
    I believe he tunes the same as Wes Borland, 1 1/2 steps down from standard, so he obviously tunes UP on his 5...C#/F#/B/E/G# I think.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Like cyclone said, CHILL dude..

5. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    most of sams stuff is standard.....not all of it though

6. Sam doesn't tune the same as wes. What I like about sam is he plays around the guitar tunings.
    All of "Chocolate Starfish" is in standard 5

g
    d
    a
    e
    b

Every single song is in standard on that album, and every song I play on the other albums is the same
    (Nookie, Break stuff, Re-Arranged, Faith, Counterfeiet, etc.)
    When wes plays, say, a low C sam uses a C further up on his bass.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Actually, Sam tunes his B-string to A#, at least he used to..

8. I can't find that issue of BP w/Sam, but I know he didn't tune in standard tunings on the first two CD's. As for the newest, I dunno. About all of his bass lines can be played on a standard 5 string, but sometimes the open C# tuning (his E string) he uses makes it a lot easier to play LB songs.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You guys should listen to someone that sam listend to! Check out the bass player form the old Jeff Beck albums! Try blow by blow! You can tell he listens or did listen to alot of jeff beck! Same style but Sam isnt as good! Dont get me wrong i like samn stuff but the guy from jeff beck is awsome!

10. I am certain he uses standard 5 string tuning, but he sometimes (rarely) down tunes his B.
    Mostly on the first album though.
    On his later stuff he just plays around the fretboard. If wes uses a low A sam uses his standard A string or 5th on his E . Like, take a look around is in something like a drop B. Because he doesn't play Wes' cord shapes he can just use standard.
    He was in a recent interview in an australian musician magazine I picked up from a music store saying he doesn't see the need to downtune his bass anymore when the notes are going to be there to play in standard anyway. Plus Wes doesn't use a 7 string anymore (He said 'cos he isn't good enough:D ) Personally, i like him.

11. what is their message disrespecting women and inciting violence? This is america.Have we forgotten about freedom of speech.If i want to voice my opinion on a certain subject i will most certainly do so.

12. life is that way sometimes.

13. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sam has 2 basses. He plays a 5 string Ibanez tuned B,C#,F#,B,E...and he also plays a 5 string Warwick in standard. :)

14. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Man, you need to chill with that nonsence. Berrating other users like that is the surest way to get your butt in trouble with the Mods.

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Bo hey man iam with you on alot of things because i grew up in a diff music era! I listend to all the greats and still do! I cant stand bands like blink 182 and the offspring! Mainly because they give us no good musicianship! They are like you say all garage bands! But i must say that Sam Rivers i sa fine bass player! He is not great but he holds the gorund well! You should stop and listen to him before you bad mouth his playing! I think you just group him with other bands because of there style! You should keep your mind open! Its kinda like saying that all punk bass players suck but keep in mind that flea is a punk bass player! Not that iam saying that i think that flea is awsome because he really isnt awsone! He is damn good but hey there is alot of bass players that are dam,n good. Lets go back in time and take the bands you listen to as a young guy and think about what the older people said about them!

16. Bo Bradley - youre from johnson city TN?? very cool so am I! what up ha

17. And anyways....BassPlayer101.... whats ur problem? its not like limp bizkit created the earth, chill dude. if he doesnt like them, why should u care? ur name fred durst or something? ur acting like u date the guys or something

18. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    the only thing i dont like about bizkit is durst and his big head.....on the plus side...i like rivers...does ne one know how he makes his inlays glow red??

19. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    funny..... i could have sworn the thread title said LB fans only..........just cuz you dont like them doesnt mean you have to say so, and just cuz they might not be as skilled as other musicians out there doesnt mean that you can enjoy the music. my favorite band is weezer, and i know d*mn well that Mikey nor Matt are near as good as say Flea or Jaco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.