Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sam Rivers' Tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 26, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive done a search, and all that i got was all the jargon about his Streamer Stage II with LED's or something about the MTV Icon.

I liked the MTV Icon, and i loved his tone (and always have) But what i want to know is how do i get it. This will sound extremely dumbed down, but his high notes still have guts to them, and thats a part about his sound i like. How do i get a tone like his, what do i boost, and what do i cut? Thaks

-Kirbo

2. I saw icon.. it was definitely a spector not a warwick.

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    im sure it was a stage I streamer finished in emerald green stain, black hardware, basslines phase 1 soapbars and sims green front and side leds + 'w'

[​IMG]

4. look at the bridge. its 2 parts alla the warwick bridge.

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    nice to see sam breaking all ties with ibanez ;)

6. i heard the only reason he still had a deal was so he could get the single string bridges for his warwicks. now when othere people are making them he stops useing them and uses the normale warwick bridge. go figure.

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I know what he uses, but i want to know how to get his sound! :D cmon! :p

What do i do to get a sound that sounds something like him? What do i put where on my amp, what do i cut and boost?

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ok, stupid but not so stupid question here.

Why not just create your own tone?

Ods are good you'll never come close to getting sams tone. You're not him. Chances are good his basses are customed out to his likings. Cabs too. EX he may use swr cabs, but the speakers in them could be JBL or something else other than swr.

9. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah thats what im wanting to do, i want to find his tone, see what its like and then play around with it a bit. I like his tone, but i want to see what i can do with it.

10. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Tone is a very subjective thing. Outside of basses, pickups, amps, and cabinets, its very difficult to pinpoint exactly what makes a person's tone their own. Even if you had Rivers' rig, you might not be able to get it, and I'm assuming that you don't have an approximation of his gear. That makes the search for tone even harder, as creating a tone on equipment it didn't originally come from is a pain in the @$$.

That said, I assume he boosts his low mids a bit, from what I remember his tone sounding like. It's been awhile since I've heard anything from LB. I believe his Warwick contributes a lot to his tone as well, it has the same timbre I associate with (and dislike about) Warwick basses.

Hope that helps a little.

11. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks!
    Thats all i needed to know :D

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    If you want to add fatness to your higher notes, try a bit of compression and boosting your high-mids on your amp EQ. A lot of it's the warwick element, too-- and yes, it's a warwick, look at the gumby headstock.

13. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    haha i had never looked at it that way! :D